Small block – engine oil

Just a quickie guys
    Any particular oil you would recommend(or indeed steer clear of) for my 350 Chevy (it has not been run in yet)?
    Cheers

I normally use Valvoline VR1 20w/50, or Mobil Classic, or Halfords Classic 20/50, if I cant find VR1 on offer, Europarts generally have good offers on it

Thank you!

millers 20/50 mineral is a popular one too I think

edit just noticed you say its not run in yet, mine had 15/40 for running in then change to 20/50 after a couple of hundred miles. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong because that's what I'm doing!

Dave A
    Last edited by hifihedgehog; 15-11-13 at 03:10 PM.

This is the cheapest place I've found for VR1 oil, Valvoline VR1 Racing Mineral 20W50 Engine Oil 5 Litre Bottle | eBay
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

I would think twice about the Halfords Classic 20/50.

When I was running in my Chevvy 350 I was advised to change the oil at around 100 miles (I think) and put a simple 20/50 mineral oil back in again until 1000 miles or so. The engine had been running fine. Changed Filter and Oil for the Halfords Classic 20/50 and immediately there was a repetitive squeak from the top end. Worried I spoke to the Engine builder and he recommended a Shell oil as he hadn't been too impressed previously with the Halfords oil himself.

Changed Oil and Filter again and the squeak disappeared never to return. Where the squeak came from exactly we'll never know. All I know is changing the oil solved it. After a bit of a battle with Halfords I got my money back.
    I personally won't be using that oil again.

JMHO

Denis

If you take something to bits often enough, eventually you'll have two of them......

GD427E039

Quote Originally Posted by hifihedgehog View Post
    millers 20/50 mineral is a popular one too I think

edit just noticed you say its not run in yet, mine had 15/40 for running in then change to 20/50 after a couple of hundred miles. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong because that's what I'm doing!

Dave A
    Some people use the thinner grade anyway, but you should only be doing 500 miles or so anyway before your change, but ive stuck to the 20/w50 vr1 as Kenny Coleman recommended, however I do use a cheap oil of whatever grade, as a flushing oil for 20 mins or so before changing filter and VR1, quite costly, but it does keep the oil much cleaner for longer

As always guys very helpful, and much appreciated by this apprentice!

as the others VR1 20/50 mineral as recommended by Kenny Coleman at EDA or Miller Classic 20/50 as recommended by John Sleath Racing.

Kenny has also been suggesting using ZDDP additive in VR1 as apparently Valvoline have reduced the quatity of it in the Classic Mineral Oil

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

this is what i have just brought when i get round to the first start up of the engine

Millers Oils Classic Running In Oil Engine 30 5 Litres 5L | eBay