Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this going to affect us??

Yes I know its the Daily Mail but the info they give isnt far from the truth,
    Also has anyone had any problems using Supermarket Fuel bought in France?. Ive heard some horror stories so will be taking an octane booster with me in June.

Many oil companies have decided to use bio-ethanol, made from corn, sugar cane and rapeseed.
    The new eco-fuel, E10, contains 10 per cent bio-ethanol, compared with up to 5 per cent in the E5 unleaded blend currently on sale.
    The Renewable Energy Directive requires 5 per cent of road transport energy to be from renewable sources this year, and 10 per cent by 2020, in an attempt to cut greenhouse gas emissions linked to global warming.

What Car? said ethanol acts as a solvent and can cause fuel pump, hose filter and injector blockages.
    It is also corrosive to some seals, plastics and metals ‘and can lead to fuel leaks and even engine failure’.
    The fuel leads to increased CO2 emissions from car exhaust pipes. However, green groups such as the Low Carbon Vehicle Partnership say this would be offset since crops used to make it absorb CO2 as they grow.

Drivers face £200 bill to fill up with EU eco-fuel | Mail Online

On the up side it will give you more power.
    Colin
    Dax Standard Chassis. Ford 302, AOD auto, DB s/s sidepipes, 2017 T reg.

done at least 2000 miles a year in France and Italy (Rover V for the last 5 years and never had a problem - you can still get "real petrol" at most places anyway.

Would that be
    "Corn in the Cob"

Some of my Swedish work colleagues (they have this stuff in the garages in Sweden) tell me that although it's cheaper than "normal" fuel they don't get as many to the gallon from it.
    Sort of defeats the object financially at least.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

They've had this stuff in Australia for a long time now, well known destroyer of pumps, pipes and engines large and small! The "smart" Roo Shaggers won't go near it.

I think I'll just drop some octane booster into the tank and keep my eyes on the fuel hoses

No idea if this is true or not, or if it is these new changes will change it but the high octane fuel is not supposed to be affected yet.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Have a Renault Megane in France for 5 years now. Never a problem with E10.

David

But a Megane would have been built to the new specs.
    Older cars wont have been and the danger, so I read it is to all the seals in the carbs as well as fuel hoses.

Just a point, I bought a brand spanking new Megane for the wife when they first came out. The thing leaked like a sieve in even the lightest of rain. I took it back and got another new one, same thing, after a shower the tailgate would just let water pour in. I ended up getting her a Laguna instead. Nice car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast