Rear Damper Adjustment

Hi All,

I will be taking the rear dampers off tonight just to give the a clean up etc so thought that I would ask the following.

When I got the DAX ( built in 2002 ) the front shock absorber were too soft and the front felt too loose so I firmed the suspension up by adjusting to around a half way setting.

The back of the car has always felt too hard, the car has 18" wheels but runs 22psi in the tyres, the car can skitter over bumps in the road etc, are they this hard with the 18" wheels ( the car does run quite close to the road ) or can I afford to soften the shock absorbers without the risk of bottoming out the car. What settings are normally used. ( number of clicks on the adjuster

Thanks in advance of any feedback.

Regards

Rich

Others will know better but my recollection is that Dax recommend a starting point of halfway on the adjustment knob on all dampers. I think this is what we used and it seems fine.

Have you tried playing around with the tyre pressures? Makes a vast amount of difference - I built mine with a mate and we have different tyre pressures for when he is driving, I am driving and when we are both in the car together. Might be an idea to put the dampers in the middle and then play around a little and see what you think feels best?
    www.sounds-legal.com - some have said we\'re mad!!!

The clue is in the name Rich "shock absorbers". Take them back to soft plus 2 clicks, go for a short run. Go up 2 clicks and go for the same short run. Repeat until you start to feel the bumps in the road getting uncomfortable. Go back 2 clicks towards soft and Jobs a Goodun. From memory mine are set about 1/4 way up from soft.
    Chris
    Ex AK427 351Cleveland T5WC

Quote Originally Posted by Purple AK View Post
    The clue is in the name Rich "shock absorbers". Take them back to soft plus 2 clicks, go for a short run. Go up 2 clicks and go for the same short run. Repeat until you start to feel the bumps in the road getting uncomfortable. Go back 2 clicks towards soft and Jobs a Goodun. From memory mine are set about 1/4 way up from soft.
    Hi Jonny and Chris,

Thank for your feed back. will do as you both recommend, tyre pressures down to 22 from 25 has helped, Chris, I will check where the adjustment is and reset as you suggest.

Cheers

Rich