Page 299 of 302 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301 ... LastLast
Results 2,981 to 2,990 of 3016
    Your neighbours will be thankful for that !
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Damn that's impressive - and a darn sight cheaper than the laser scanner I saw Edd China pimping on YouTube (which costs circa ~$30k!)

Off to eBay to look for used Kinects I go!

[edit] P.S. Kev, don't you have to have a (paid) IEEE membership to read papers there?

- look me up on University of Surrey website, go to 'Publications' and there are pre-publication pre-prints available for free download.
    Look for Alnowami or Tahavori as the first authors. We used Kinect for medical applications (patient setup and respiratory motion management), but a couple off the papers have a section on technical performance measurement, which might be of interest.
    The Kinect2 actually produces better quality depth images (different technology) but storing the video is a PITA as its HD, so will fill up your HDD in a few secs unless you have a codec to compress or downsample in realtime.

In the past I tried scanning an O gauge railway carriage with a Kinect1 to see if t could be 3D printed - nope - got the outline, but no 'window detail'.
    For smooth curved objects like car bodies, whole humans and human clothing it works remarkeably well with the modelmaker software. You can export the data to to a mesh-based viewing package and then export to a 3D printer as needed.
    Although in practice you really want a tool to go in and edit the mesh as there are usually some small missing patches.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I'm (still) wrangling with the electronic immobiliser - which should be dead easy to install, but for some reason the rats nest of all black wiring blows my mind every time I look at it! But the pallet-load of engine parts is now with the engine builder and he can get started on that, hopefully in 2-3 months I'll have a built engine back to mate with the gearbox and install

Shame I won't be able to fire it up until I've had headers made
    If you are using the standard Stirling/Toad one, PM me and I can let you know how to do this, and how it all works on practice.
    I added some bypass features into mine so that if gives up I wont be stranded.

But I thought the Dax has a Sierra steering column? If so, you don't need the immobiliser as the steering lock will count as your anti-theft device.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    If you are using the standard Stirling/Toad one, PM me and I can let you know how to do this, and how it all works on practice.
    I added some bypass features into mine so that if gives up I wont be stranded.
    Will drop you a PM

But I thought the Dax has a Sierra steering column? If so, you don't need the immobiliser as the steering lock will count as your anti-theft device.
    Corsa B .. sadly the ignition switch is the "wrong" side of the dashboard.. (rest edited out and into a PM)
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Today I will be replacing my left side-pipe exhaust hanger which tore through during a little drive last night. Just need to go to the auto-parts store and fine one. Just a 1/4" thick strip of composite rubber about 4" long and about 1.5" wide. Should be simple..... but nothing ever seems to be...
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Eggbert View Post
    Today I will be replacing my left side-pipe exhaust hanger which tore through during a little drive last night. Just need to go to the auto-parts store and fine one. Just a 1/4" thick strip of composite rubber about 4" long and about 1.5" wide. Should be simple..... but nothing ever seems to be...
    Good luck with that John. If it’s anything like the UK first thing they want when you walk through the door is the registration number of the vehicle. That’s when your problems begin if it’s not a mass produced vehicle on their computer. Gone are the days here when motor factors held general stock and would “go out the back” to have a look for you for anything unusual. Had a similar problem recently getting a steering rack gaiter not knowing what vehicle the rack came off.
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    Good luck with that John. If it’s anything like the UK first thing they want when you walk through the door is the registration number of the vehicle. That’s when your problems begin if it’s not a mass produced vehicle on their computer. Gone are the days here when motor factors held general stock and would “go out the back” to have a look for you for anything unusual. Had a similar problem recently getting a steering rack gaiter not knowing what vehicle the rack came off.
    Dek
    It' similar here. No registration number, but they seem to need make, model and year just to get started to look anything up.

I can't go in there and ask for engine parts without telling them what the engine came out of. For example:

Me: Hi. I need some valve cover gaskets for a Ford 428.

PartsGuy: Make, model and year please.

Me: Well, the engine isn't in the original car.

PartsGuy: "blank look"

Me: Try looking up a 1966 T-bird.

PartsGuy: What make?

Me: Ford

PartsGuy: Model?

Me: Thunderbird

PartsGuy: What year?

Me: 1966

PartsGuy: OK, what engine.

Me: 428

PartsGuy: OK, but we have to order them.

... and so it goes.....

Fortunately, the rubber hangar I needed was one of those universal ones and the Parts Guy went in the back and returned with 3 different ones. One matched up perfectly. Only $4.99 too!

Repair is done!
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Eggbert View Post
    It' similar here. No registration number, but they seem to need make, model and year just to get started to look anything up.

I can't go in there and ask for engine parts without telling them what the engine came out of. For example:

Me: Hi. I need some valve cover gaskets for a Ford 428.

PartsGuy: Make, model and year please.

Me: Well, the engine isn't in the original car.

PartsGuy: "blank look"

Me: Try looking up a 1966 T-bird.

PartsGuy: What make?

Me: Ford

PartsGuy: Model?

Me: Thunderbird

PartsGuy: What year?

Me: 1966

PartsGuy: OK, what engine.

Me: 428

PartsGuy: OK, but we have to order them.

... and so it goes.....

Fortunately, the rubber hangar I needed was one of those universal ones and the Parts Guy went in the back and returned with 3 different ones. One matched up perfectly. Only $4.99 too!

Repair is done!
    Every so often you’re pleasantly surprised (or shocked). Doesn’t seem to happen often enough though!
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    Every so often you’re pleasantly surprised (or shocked). Doesn’t seem to happen often enough though!
    Dek
    Compare that with my recent conversations with Dave at Dampertech re non standard springs & coilovers for my pilgrim. The mans an expert, very patient, willing to go and measure stuff to compare and offer pragmatic advice. I'd deal with him again in a heart beat.

Fitted the edelbrock fuel pressure regulator just to make sure the edelbrock carb is getting the pressure it needs (up to 6.5psi).
    Will fit the fuel pump later in the week.
    Still struggling with air cleaner choice. I have an edelbrock air gap inlet manifold on to of a Chevy small block and even with the large air scoop on the Dax bonnet I only have 2 inches of clearance from top of carb air cleaner flange to underside of bonnet. 3 inch high air cleaners are out even with a drop base as they don't give the clearance needed on top. You can't go seriously drop base as these won't clear the throttle linkage. By my mock up I think the oval 21 inch by 10 inch cleaner will work and give me 7mm or so clearance under the bonnet as its only a 1.5 inch depth filter.
    Just another small challenge to the build.

Got to have the exhaust headers on the passenger side bent upwards a little as they are too close to the chassis rail where they join the 4 into 1 collector.

The spark plug on cylinder 8 touches the footwell. I think the engine bay liner must be a little proud of the fiberglass footwell. So I'll have to cut out a section of the engine bay liner to provide clearance.

Nothing worthwhile is ever easy.
    We press on!
    Regards
    Richard

Dax - Standard Chassis, a boot full of parts, Chevy 383 Stroker and Tremec TKO 600. Time for paint!