Page 306 of 307 FirstFirst ... 206256296304305306307 LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,060 of 3064
    Cheers John, your probably right, to be honest I'm not far off, I think it's more about motivation and focus!!
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

Kev, when you bought your Trigos did you get the 3mm spacer ring? It's what you use to ensure the studs are aligned correctly?

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

Quote Originally Posted by 427jlc View Post
    Cheers John, your probably right, to be honest I'm not far off, I think it's more about motivation and focus!!
    I'm glad you didn't take my comment as any sort of criticism. I was prepared to offer an apology and make a note that I ought to keep my mouth shut some times (or hands in pockets in the case of a keyboard)!

I remember restoring my 66 Mustang a few years before starting the Cobra. I finally had it down to a bare shell and thought "whenever will I get the time to put this all back together?"

I mentioned this to an acquaintance... a guy who restored old Porsche's (like early 911s and the odd 356) in addition to his regular full time job. He's the one who told me I ought to just do a little bit every day, and by gosh... didn't that work! Seeing progress helped keep the motivation going.

I sort of thought he ought to know. He once scraped all the undercoating off the bottom of a 356 with a Swiss Army Knife. No doubt, a little bit every day.

I'm hoping to get a few things done to my Cobra over the winter. Although I will take my own advice and do a little every day, the caveat is getting started. I said "winter" but that can go fast and then I start in the Spring when there's all kinds of outdoor things to do.

One way or another, I hope to post in this thread as I get some things done. After all, it is called "What did you do to your Cobra today??"
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

I decided to mount gas struts in the boot. Quite a bit of fettling to get the boot lid mounts in place but my dremel and rivnuts ensured a satisfactory outcome. Looking at the side mounts, does anyone have some advice as to whether it is worthwhile adding strength to the bracket by drilling and running a bolt through the gulley?
    On another topic, what size and length of stud do I need for the outriders front and rear?
    Thanks
    Very junior apprentice.

Oops I of course mean overriders!
    Very junior apprentice.

On John's advice, spent today's hour on cutting and bending a 2mm Aluminium panel to fit against the AK heater panel. It's set back under the dash. This will house the hazard switch, 12v power outlets, heated seats switches and the other 4 warning lights I didn't want in my original style dash.

Quote Originally Posted by 427jlc View Post
    Kev, when you bought your Trigos did you get the 3mm spacer ring? It's what you use to ensure the studs are aligned correctly?
    yup, but i'm going with allan bolts instead, which is standard fitment on vintage knock-ons, and simon hubs front AND rear ....its a long story, will bore you with it in May!
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Thanks Kev, my point is can you not get it scanned and 2 New ones made to the thickness you had machined off?

Steering boot change

As per the picture below the time has come to change the steering boots. They are badly twisted as I guess when the tracking was done they didn't think to loosen the boot before hand. The possibility of messing up the tracking when removing everything and reassembling has been putting me off.
    While searching the internet I discovered these universal ones that slip over the ball joint saving me from having to remove the rod, they were only a £11 so I thought they were worth a try.

Ones on the left are the flexible universal type, on the right the originals. They come with a little cone to aid in fitting over the ball joint.
    Please to say they worked a treat! With a little grease on the cone and ball joint, together with some twisting and tugging they slipped over. I cut off the old ones and slid the new ones into place. Time will tell if they last as long (2 year guarantee) but to be honest it makes it so easy that if i have to change them every couple of years so be it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dax MK4, RV8

Better to try, and fail....than to fail to try.

I can't see in the picture, but did you install a balance tube between the right and left boots? I did on mine. Some sort of stiff plastic tubing, possibly Teflon. I think it's so when one boot expands, it can pull air from the other side instead of pulling air around the tie-rod end shaft, possibly allowing water and dirt in.

...and because I'm curious, those "originals" on the right in the picture, look new. Did you buy both original and generic?
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”