Page 335 of 337 FirstFirst ... 235285325333334335336337 LastLast
Results 3,341 to 3,350 of 3364
    I passed my first MOT today with no advisories and with a standard AK handbrake !
    Not quite as stressful as IVA but admit to being slightly nervous before the test.
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches94 View Post
    I passed my first MOT today with no advisories and with a standard AK handbrake !
    Not quite as stressful as IVA but admit to being slightly nervous before the test.
    You need an ‘understanding and sensible’ MOT tester for these car. You get a bright eyed and bushy tailed college graduate and they will more often than not fail our cars.
    I take mine to a classic car garage who understands that the mechanics of these things are ancient. As long as it’s safe and not taking the proverbial, it passes.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Darnpistonbroke View Post
    You need an ‘understanding and sensible’ MOT tester for these car.
    I have one of those. Once took it in and the usual chap that tests it lifts it up on the ramp, has a quick look round underneath then walks over to me and we're having a chat about cars as usual.
    A young apprentice then walks over all wide eyed, goes and stands under the diff and looks first at one rear wheel, then the other, then quickly back to the first one. "Hey Dave" he shouts at the tester I'm talking to "come and have look at this, it's got no brakes on the rear". Not seen the young lad since!

Last update. I will be going to Silverstone in the Dax, weather permitting.
    Well she wouldn’t start this morning so I first looked at the float settings and set them a little lower. Still no joy. So after some more reading and head scratching I took another look at the carb in general and noticed the choke valve was fully closed. It wasn’t like this when I first started work on the carb.
    The choke mechanism is locked in the open position as starting the engine isn’t really an issue when cold, you just need to keep the revs up for a minute or two. Anyway the choke mechanism was removed to gain access to the vacuum secondary diaphragm housing so I must have done something wrong when refitting it. So off it came again for a closer inspection. I found that during refitting I should have kept the choke valve wide open as the numerous links and levers down there do more than one job. So after refitting it correctly this time she fired up.
    Backed her out of the garage and set the float heights up with engine running, then filter back on. After a quick whizz round the block, all seems well with some of the lost power restored. Just need to replace that tired old diaphragm now which I’ll do next week.
    Now to clean her and prepare her for the trip on Saturday.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Well here’s something different! Decided to give my leather a clean having got a bit damp at Spetchley on Wednesday. While there I bought some expensive leather cream. Nothing wrong with it but I wondered what my home made beeswax based potion might do. So having done a sample I tried my beeswax mix and guess what, it looks bloody brilliant! (Better than the expensive stuff, although I say it myself!).
    My potion is a blend of beeswax and extra virgin olive oil. It should go in and nourish the leather with the added bonus of being water repellent. We have already tried it on leather horse tack and I also re-waterproofed a tired wax jacket with it. It leaves a gentle shine on the leather. Will be interesting to see how it performs although getting deliberately stuck in another thunderstorm is not on the agenda!
    Maybe a new business opportunity opening up!
    Happy to share a tin with one or two for feedback. A certain Mr Hole of TKC fame is already a fan! (He uses it on furniture)

Bees wax and olive oil you say.. if production takes off I bet you'll be.. buzzing!

I'll get my coat.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

I presume its non-stick and wipes off?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    I presume its non-stick and wipes off?
    Yes. Apply, let dry a bit then wipe off. Leaves a sheen but is dry.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Yes. Apply, let dry a bit then wipe off. Leaves a sheen but is dry.
    Brilliant idea Chris! Save some for me. Pears soap is a good leather clear prior to nourishment. Could be the ideal cheapo combo? Dragons Den calling?
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    Brilliant idea Chris! Save some for me. Pears soap is a good leather clear prior to nourishment. Could be the ideal cheapo combo? Dragons Den calling?
    Dek
    Will do. I reckon us humans have forgotten a lot and many of these old school natural products are better than many of their chemical equivalents. We also make a honey/wax/coconut oil cream that we have discovered can cure eczema in some people. All started as a hobby (well it still is) but has expanded somewhat to include soap, balms, wax candles and various potions as well as the honey (extracted 500 lbs last week, that’s why the GT40 has ground to a halt!)
    I’m really pleased with the finish on the leather using the wax polish. I cleaned it with Revive Cleaner first but Pears would have been a good option.
    No Dragons Den! A no pressure hobby is more attractive. I have finished with all that corporate stuff!!!