Page 337 of 339 FirstFirst ... 237287327335336337338339 LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,370 of 3381
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Well not exactly a cobra but what a lovely car!! Mike Halewood's Iso Grifo which now belongs to a local collector. Just had a look at the carb this morning to try to solve a high end problem

Tuned the carb, replaced float valves etc but did not solve the problem! More tests needed!!! Took a long time to fill the float chambers so might be a fuel pump issue. She was set well rich which could have been to compensate for poor fuel supply, anyway it's going to be the usual process of elimination. Will have to work things through.

Engine is a 327 Chevy.

A pleasure to fiddle with. Just hope we can find the issue.............
    Have you changed your fuel filter lately? If not then that would be my first port of call. Classic indication of high power problems is fuel starvation.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Put the Dax in today for her MOT. Also wheel alignment after the suspension swap out.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

I usually go to town with the Cobra on Friday evenings to socialize with fellow car enthusiasts, but havn't for at least three weeks, so the car was difficult to start. The fuel evaporates out of the carbs after about 10 days. With no choke and a mechanical fuel pump, it took a bit of cranking to get it going.

While I was backing it out of the garage, my son came out and wanted me to take his 7 year old for a spin. I'd have rather done that during the day, but as the little fellow has his leg in a cast, I felt bad for him and off we went. Coming back I wanted to give it a little blast, but not too crazy. Darn engine kept misfiring every time I tried to accelerate. OK, I thought, that's damp plug wires. Anyway, got back, shut it off, and we lifted the little guy out.

Back in the car, I went to start it, and it wouldn't crank over. Just a little grunt every time I turned the key. Battery was almost dead. I put it on the charger for about 20 minutes and it then started. Voltage across battery was 13.6, which is fine as it indicates charging is taking place.

So the low battery was probably the cause of the misfire as my ignition system is just adequate for the car when everything is working normally. Why was the battery low? Well, first there was all the cranking to get it going. Next I had the lights on as well as the heater fan to keep the little guys legs warm. Overall, a higher load than normal.

I checked the fan belt and the sides felt a little slick, almost slimy, so I think it was slipping and likely slipping worse as the rpms come up. Seeing I bought that belt back in 1996, I think I'll throw a new one on tomorrow even though it may have only been damp due to the high humidity around here lately. I'll also do a load test on the battery as it isn't exactly new either. It's only the second one I've bought for the car, and the car is handy to 24 years old now.

In the end, I just put the car back in the garage and decided to stay home. Another failure while driving home in the dark wasn't something I wanted to happen.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

I could never get my Satnav to stay stuck to the windscreen or the dash, so I got myself some left over 5mm thick black plastic sheet from a student project and made myself a holder, with a shield to keep the sun off the screen. I have not had to make any alterations to the car and I shaped the bottom portion so that it fits snuggly inside the screen demister vent, to keep it level, then just pull it out when not needed and shove it in the boot. I can see over it ok, and I know it’s not the smartest looking object, but it works a treat.

Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by psh View Post
    I could never get my Satnav to stay stuck to the windscreen or the dash, so I got myself some left over 5mm thick black plastic sheet from a student project and made myself a holder, with a shield to keep the sun off the screen. I have not had to make any alterations to the car and I shaped the bottom portion so that it fits snuggly inside the screen demister vent, to keep it level, then just pull it out when not needed and shove it in the boot. I can see over it ok, and I know it’s not the smartest looking object, but it works a treat.

Look forward to seeing that Paul at P&P.
    Dek

Today I finally took the Cobra for a run after changing that worn out fan belt. It worked fine and the ammeter even showed it charging nicely as I never did fully recharge the battery since it went dead.

No more misfires due to low voltage to the ignition and the engine had a really nice bark to it. I suspect that belt has been slipping for a long time and the battery voltage was down a bit. My barely adequate ignition system doesn’t like that.

This might shed a new light on why the car doesn’t run well the first trip out in the Spring. Battery lost a bit of charge over the winter and doesn’t recharge quickly due to the slipping belt. Hence the misfires. My first thoughts were posted in this thread back on post 3308 and I now think I was in error with that post.

Interestingly, the new belt with the same part number isn’t quite the same as the old one. The old one has little notches on the underside to reduce stress when going around a small diameter pulley. This one didn’t. Same two parts numbers on both, a Gates P/N and a generic part number.

As far as wear goes, the sides of the old belt were worn quite smooth. The top width of this belt is supposed to be just over 11 mm, which it was. The old belt measured only 9mm. So it looked more or less OK until a more careful inspection was made.

Speaking of weird replacement parts, I just changed the Starter Relay (fender mounted) on my Ford truck. The new one has an extra fourth terminal, no doubt for older style ignitions where the fourth terminal connected to the coil (+) to bypass the ballast resistor during cranking. There was no markings on the new relay, but the box it came in said “Made in China”. Inside the box, the relay was in a plastic bag that said “Made in Taiwan”. Naturally it didn’t work correctly when I first tried it… just a loud click and the engine didn’t crank over. After using it a few times, something must have loosened up and it now works fine. Doesn’t leave me with a lot of confidence though. Beware those after-market parts!
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Drove No.49 to work for the first time - 30 mile trip, for a meeting starting at lunchtime.
    Crap. Seems like late morning the roads across the Sussex-Surrey borders are clogged with dozy pensioners, artics and construction lorries, none of which can do more than 35-40 on roads designated for national speed limit.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Pretty sure there was a memo that we missed reducing NSL to 40mph... I think the same memo banned overtaking because everyone gets awfully bent out of shape if you dare to!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Kev, you should know that between 9am and 12noon the roads and supermarkets are always full of p1$$ers and dribblers during these hours!

Next time you're in Morrison's look around and you'll be the youngest there!

Gotta admit, an old guy complete with flat cap driving a tesla wasted me at the lights a few weeks ago...................i just burst out laughing and thought he must have been a former cobra owner.
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Drove No.49 to work for the first time - 30 mile trip, for a meeting starting at lunchtime.
    Crap. Seems like late morning the roads across the Sussex-Surrey borders are clogged with dozy pensioners, artics and construction lorries, none of which can do more than 35-40 on roads designated for national speed limit.
    Odd isn’t it!! Why this desire to potter along at 40mph? Not efficient in time nor fuel and what’s more, BORING! It’s definitely got commonplace, I’ve seen it on other forums too including non motoring ones.
    I just blast past spitting fire on gear changes, no doubt to shouts of ‘look at that ?!:;/“t’ but who cares, puts a smile on my face at least!
    Two reasons for driving after dusk, quieter roads and brighter fire! Got to love a cobra…..