Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Height adjustment on my SRV8

Hi all,
    this questions probably been asked a few times only i cannot seem to get the information i want, anyway basically i want to adjust the rear height of my Cobra, so as to lessen the gap between the wheel arch edge and the tyre tops.
    On looking at other Cobras including the originals the have a smaller gap than mine which i believe will improve my handling and looks, basically creating a nice balance look, this is something i had planned to do once i had taken the underslung system and back boxes off and installed installing my side pipes last year.
    So i know i have to adjust all four back SPAX shocks as they are fully adjustable and using the c-spanner i bought turn the locking rings, i just need some clarification on equal adjusting, which way to turn, and the procedure so as not to upset the suspension, if anyone has any drawings, pdfs ect as i cannot find anything on the net i would be grateful,

Gary.

from what i've read from Clarksons posts, i don't think it's just a matter of adjusting the shocks.

I'm sure i've read that with the SRV8 you have to change how the body is mounted to the chassis in order to reduce the gap properly. That is the only thing i'm not happy with on the SRV8 is the height of the body above the wheels, doesn't quite look right, and spoils the look slightly. Prefer the Dax. AK. GD etc stances somewhat more.

Adjusting the shocks will just change the shock settings, and not correctly lower the body height.

Maybe give Clarkson a PM to confirm??

Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Hi Gary,
    thanks for your reply, i have`nt got around to having a got at adjusting the shocks as yet but was under the impression that the ride height could be altered slightly by adjusting the locking rings and turning the height adjusting rings so as to raise or lower the overall car ride height.
    On an old advert off my Cobra from \\RACETEC//                                                                                                                                                                                Cobra, cobras for sale, buy cobras, buy cobra, cobra dealer, da ,it states the suspension as being full adjustable i also have a pic of it sitting lower at the rear, the front seems ok to me but i believe the rear was raised to gain clearance for back boxes when the originally owner may of changed his mind on sidepipes.
    I have studied a few pictures of Southern Roadcraft Cobras over the last few days and confusingly some seem lower than others, but like you say it could be un- achievable on lowering the rear end and decreasing the gap between the wheel arch edge and tyre tops if its a structural design feature, i can say i can only give it a go and let you know when i get around to it,
    thanks,
    Gary.

Adjusting the shocks as you suggest may slightly reduce the ride height but reducing the spring preload in this way will also affect the way the suspension works and hence the handling..

Often the thing which affects the look of the wheels withing the arches is the wheel and more particularly the tyre size
    MkIII Sumo - RV8

Hi Gary,
    I agree with what has been said above. What is your tyre and wheel combo at the moment?
    You will certainly get some adjustment in height using the spring platforms and maybe this is what has been done before.
    But you may end up with the arch bottoming out on tyre top with really severe bumps. Maybe that is why it was raised.
    John.
    Last edited by cobrascim; 17-03-14 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added extra info.
    Southern Roadcraft built in the North!!!
    With a proper Ford V8 fitted.

Hi all,
    thanks for the replies, regarding my wheel and tyre size on the backs i have 275/60/16 on the fronts 245/60/16, but i still believe that the car was raised because the back silencers and underneath system would of been catching so they raised the car slightly higher using the adjustable shocks altering the ride height.
    I have measured the top off the tyres to the edge of the arch and its not far off 3 inches, have any of your SRV8s got similar, it always seemed high to me but i may be wrong,
    Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by GARY View Post
    Hi all,
    thanks for the replies, regarding my wheel and tyre size on the backs i have 275/60/16 on the fronts 245/60/16, but i still believe that the car was raised because the back silencers and underneath system would of been catching so they raised the car slightly higher using the adjustable shocks altering the ride height.
    I have measured the top off the tyres to the edge of the arch and its not far off 3 inches, have any of your SRV8s got similar, it always seemed high to me but i may be wrong,
    Gary.
    Have you got a pic?
    MkIII Sumo - RV8

A compromise could be to put 275/70/16 on the back to get an inch back if they'd fit - you'd need to check clearance all the way round.
    John.
    Southern Roadcraft built in the North!!!
    With a proper Ford V8 fitted.

IMG_1346.JPG

The picture seems to have rotated itself...

Hi Sim,
    thanks for the picture it does seem petty close to the gap mine has, its not that i can`t live with it i was just hoping i could alter the look slightly, here`s some pics of my rear wheel wells,
    Gary.
    Rear Arch.JPGNew Pipes.JPGSide On.JPG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast