Rover V8 to LT77 gearbox problem

Hi,

Looking for a bit of guidance trying to connect my rover V8 3500 to my LT77 box. Spent most of the day yesterday trying to mate the two parts but just can't get the together. I can get the to mate, and even get the bell housing close enough to put the bolts in, but it won't close the last 10mm. I've removed the clutch release bearing etc and tried to fit without thinking that might be wrong but it makes no difference so ruled that out.

The engine is fitted with a 10.5 inch flywheel which I know is not standard 3500 fitment but as you can upgrade to 10.5 clutch didn't think this was the issue. I think my problem is with the clutch cover fowling the bell housing and might even be a 4x4 version, but before I shell out more cash was looking to see if anyone has my advice.

I've measure the depth of the clutch cover from the face of the flywheel and that is 60mm deep. Does this sound like 4x4 version.? And to deep? I've been looking at McLeod 10.5 clutch cover on the web not sure I'm just chucking good money after bad.

Or is there something else I'm missing ?

I'll try to upload some pictures later, but struggling with that as well... Arghhhhh, frustrating weekend as I was hoping to drop the engine in this weekend.

Any help or guidance appreciated. cheers.

Are you sure the shaft fits in the soigot bearing ?

Hi ,
    If the flywheel is fitted with a 10.5" clutch , then it's a 4wd version and as you've discovered the 4wd flywheel and clutch assembly is too big to fit inside a 2wd bellhousing.
    You need to fit the correct 2wd flywheel and clutch kit to get it all to fit together.

Jim

Thanks Jim, sort of thought that might be the case, is the 2wd flywheel thinner then, I had a look at my auto plate and didn't look to different was hoping I could just replace with a McLeod clutch cover which is 10.5" for a 3500, is that not going to help? Guess not if the flywheel is thinner, the one I've fitted is about 17mm wide!

Thanks David, yep actually goes in some way, think it's linked to flywheel and clutch housing as hums reply.

Gearbox Photos

Struggled to attach any pictures so I've added them in my profile for public viewing. I hope......! ! !

How to fit a 4x4 flywheel……
    Attached Images Attached Images

10.5 clutch cover is over the top for a 3500 rover.
    And I wouldn't fit a McLeod anyway , I got a 3.9 in mine with a tremec t5 and it's far from standard . Took 10.5 clutch cover of to high rating and the clutch pedal was painfully in traffic.
    When i had lt77 behind mine i had ap racing clutch and never had any problems and a lot cheaper than mcleod

I'd agree on the 10.5"

That is why I used the smaller LandRover TDi cover
    Cheaper than the SD1 and a direct fitment

Combined with my lightened flywheel behind a slightly modified 4.6 Rover

Why pay more when you can make do with less.