Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aluminium Pulleys for Crankshaft & Water Pump for 351c

Well I thought this wouldn't be too hard, but trying to find a basic set of aluminium pulleys for the Cleveland is turning into a challenge. All I want is a three pulley set, ideally that uses the wide belt (that looks like a cam belt), and don't want to pay a kings ransom... I think the 351c pulleys are identical to 351w , but not sure, so would be great if someone could confirm. Also, the "March performance" ones are all about $100 each, which seems a lot for a pulley, by the time you've bought all three. Anybody who could help out with part numbers would be a star!

Also, what do people generally do for an alternator bracket on the Cleveland. I know that the Crendon has the alternator on the passenger side, like everyone else, so I guess that I probably need to make a bracket. Will have ask JK what he normally does here..

Pete
    Crendon CR427 No. 55

I remember Kaase saying to build a 400+ HP Cleveland you "use good parts and then starting pulling plug wires 'till you get there"...

Pretty sure the pulleys I bought for my last Cleveland where for 289/302/351w and fitted fine. They were something along the lines of real steel part no BYM-8509-EM.
    Both 351c's I've had came with alternator brackets, the bottom bracket would be easy enough to make up but the top curved one would be more tricky.

Alex
    Crendon no 52
    Ford 351C

The pulleys are called serpentine pulleys, bought a set for my 351W a few years ago from Summit Racing. No idea if they would fit a Cleveland or not but I'm sure that they will have what you want.

Summit list the kits as suitable for both Windsor and Cleveland Pete, and not a bad price even with the shipping. I made a bottom bracket for the alternator, and a cut down/redrilled curved bracket for the top. HTH http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...view/make/ford
    Last edited by Purple AK; 10-06-14 at 09:43 AM.
    Chris
    Ex AK427 351Cleveland T5WC

I'm sure you have it covered, I'm told you need a different water pump if you run a serpantine belt as it will spin in the oposite direction.

Where did you hear that from ? I have a serpentine setup and have the same water pump. I think this is only the case when you have loads of other accessories and run the water pump with the belt undneath which we don't have.

Many thanks guys for the input!

Alex, I'll check out that Real Steel p/n tonight.

Thanks for the link Chris, that looks just like what I need. Do you know if the Crank pulley has a flat mounting face? - it needs to be flat to sit on my aftermarket damper. The original (huge) 351c front pulley wont fit my damper as its obstructed by the larger diameter of the aftermarket damper.

Do any of the kits come with the curved alternator bracket? The photo's don't seem to show a bracket included - I wonder again if you can just by a 351w bracket on its own which might work also for the 351c?

Also, looking at that March kit on Summit, I note that there is also a different kit (p/n 1675) which seems to have different pulley ratios. I did find the other night a write-up from somebody in the US which mentioned that some of the "underdriven" ratios that the pulley manufactures use can actually cause the alternator (and maybe the water pump) to not turn fast enough at idle, which causes problems. Anyhow, I think the article has the OEM ratios for the 351c, so it should be easy to check.

Finally, what to people recommend to use for an alternator? Are Cleveland (and Windsor) guys using US-sourced alternators, or generic british stuff? Can't quite figure out also how the ali alternator pulley in the Summit picture attaches to the alternator shaft.

Cheers!

Pete
    Crendon CR427 No. 55

I remember Kaase saying to build a 400+ HP Cleveland you "use good parts and then starting pulling plug wires 'till you get there"...

Pete

Speak to JK he does an alternator bracket for us. I think we need a lucas alternator off a Metro (I think)

I (we) having jumped the gun will be running a Mustang (original FE type) alternator off Real Steel's site BY7078 and BYGR-341-B

But that's for a "V" pulley

cheers
    Kiel and Duncan (dad and the lad errr young man now)

AHP Crendon Chassis No 1
    Ford FE 434, dual quad, Toploader total old school all the way
    https://www.crendonreplicas.com/
    http://www.absolutehorsepower.co.uk/

The link that Chris has posted is the one I bought I think, it fitted the original harmonic damper I had fitted and also straight onto the after market one I bought a couple of years later. As for the alternator pulley, fit whichever one you like as the "V" pulley comes off easily once you undo the hut holding it on and the then fit the one in the kit at least mine did.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Don't know how much you can see but these are mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast