Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ride setting advice

I would like to soften up the ride on my AK just enough to stop it jarring my back and setting off my sciatica and shaking the sh-t out of the car every time I go down a bumpy road, but not to the point that it ruins the handling and wallows up and down that much it will bottom out on undulating country roads . A couple of you guys who have had a ride in my cobra, including my wife and all of my mates have said that it is quite a hard ride .It is currently set at 19 clicks, and one of you guys have told me what their cobra is set at ,but before I adjust it would like to know a good compromise and what most of you guys have your cobras set at .
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

I would suggest you start again with the clicks

count how many clicks there are end to end then set it on the middle go for a drive and check it, adjust up or down until your happy with the ride

there is no "right" number of clicks its just what you feel is comfortable if it bottoms out maybe raise the spring adjuster a bit
    Sumo, modified

All the car's are different and to really get the best compromise you have to just try out different settings until you find out what suits you. Mine is on the soft side and to be honest I don't think it has affected the handling much but is a very comfortable ride.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

I forgot to say.........mine is set fairly firm at the front. And softer on the rear

I don't think it will ever have the same kind of bounce / return of a modern tin top but it's very comfortable for long journeys

I remember reading a while ago that originals were very soft on the suspension
    Sumo, modified

I have been led to believe that its far better for both ride and road holding to have a slightly softer set up. First thing to do is set the tyres at no more than 20 to 22 psi.

Then set the ride height at what AK suggest, iirc its something like 19cm at side chassis just behind front wheel to 21 cms at side chassis rail just in front of rear wheel giving a slightly nose down attitude.

Its then trial an error, as has been said previously start at half way clicks wise and adjust until you feel you have the best compromise. Ours is slighty harder in front but down to only six clicks at the rear.

hth,

Cheers,

Tony
    Supply by blagging, engineering by bodge......

Just to add I have just replaced my 26 year old spax on my Dax for some new Gaz, and what a difference.
    I run a BB Ford 460 and found that these are great at 7 clicks, if you can measure that. A little soft on the way to Lemans 2 up and fully loaded but on my own and empty boot they are supurbbbbbb.

As for tyres try all sorts of pressures, I found the 20-22psi in the Goodyear Billboards I run way too low, the car handles best at 26/27 psi, regardless of recommendations the best is how you find it, so have a play.

When setting ride height you should consider doing this with corner weight scales. With slight differences in suspension geometry, corner weights can make a significant difference to braking stability. When you adjust the physical ride height, this changes the corner weight so you need to balance this out between front and rear and across each side. There was a past article on this topic in Snake Torque.
    When corner weight/ride height is set, you can then tune the ride quality to your particular liking.
    HTH
    Stan

I am running my “continental sport contacts” at 23 rear and 21 front , as recommended by the previous owner , and having played around with different settings, does seem about right .The shocks are the later Gaz type, two at the front and four the back . The front were set at 20 clicks, and the rear were all around 16 clicks. As some of you guys have your cars set harder at the front ,I have now set the front two at 14 clicks and the rear four at 10 clicks ,and straight away I noticed the ride was far more pleasant ,and had lost that sharp thud and crash over rough road surfaces , and the car still seems to corner and handle well ,when I throw it around round abouts and corners.

Q: Do you have the suspension harder at the front to stop the front nose diving as you throw her into a corner ?
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

If the ride is too hard then suspension travel is too short, springs are too stiff and shocks are set with too much damping!
    Springs need to be longer with a softer rating, remember springs are rated in weight or force over distance and are linear. Dampers are the same but also include a time constant. I'd imagine that with your condition you would prefer a comfortable ride rather than driving to the extremes? Therefore your car needs to be set up for roads rather than track usage!
    Stu

Quote Originally Posted by chesterak View Post
    When setting ride height you should consider doing this with corner weight scales. With slight differences in suspension geometry, corner weights can make a significant difference to braking stability. When you adjust the physical ride height, this changes the corner weight so you need to balance this out between front and rear and across each side. There was a past article on this topic in Snake Torque.
    When corner weight/ride height is set, you can then tune the ride quality to your particular liking.
    HTH
    Stan, regarding my braking issue (see stub axle rotating post) ,are corner weights something which can alter all by themselves,because the car braked absolutely fine for the first 1500 miles or so, and i have not kerbed it or wellied it around corners or fiddled with anything, and the car has only done a total of 2000 miles since build. The previous owner also put the car through an MOT just to make sure it passed and double check all was ok with the car. My local Vauxhall dealer put the cobra on their MOT rolling road and it showed up the o/s/f brake 33% down on the n/s/f brake efficiency , so would this rule out the chance of it being down to "corner weights" ,and more down to an actual braking issue
    Paul.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast