Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Evening thrutch gone wrong

So there I was, giving it some thrutch, showing off to my cousin. Slowed down to turn right at a junction and as I was slowing (double declutching) I heard the engine sound change. Turned into the lane and pretty horrible engine note, eyed the gauges, ....NO OIL PRESSURE!! Pulled over and stopped. Checked all round for leaks, none, checked the oil, full to max mark. I can only assume the oil pump has given up. I shall be pulling the sump as soon as I can and see if there are any broken bits. Anyone had anything like this before?

Ford 302, high pressure oil pump I assume. Used to give me 100psi when cold, 70 when hot.
    Cheers,
    Murray

That's the trouble with you Sailors, long hair, quick zips and, Oohh, look at the size of that!!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

GOOD LUCK WHEN YOU CHECK IT

hope its only a simple fix
    Sumo, modified

20140808_192332.jpg20140808_192348.jpg20140808_192404.jpgThis is what I found! The shaft has twisted and broken but I don't know why yet. I will take the pump off and see if that is knacked, if not any ideas why this shaft would break? What drives it from the engine?
    Cheers,
    Murray

That's the trouble with you Sailors, long hair, quick zips and, Oohh, look at the size of that!!

Hi Murray. Before you pull the sump pull the dizzy to make sure the oil pump drive hasn't dropped/snapped. Forget that! Either you had a shite drive of the pump has seized! for whatever reason. Good Luck
    Last edited by Purple AK; 08-08-14 at 07:45 PM.
    Chris
    Ex AK427 351Cleveland T5WC

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    20140808_192332.jpg20140808_192348.jpg20140808_192404.jpgThis is what I found! The shaft has twisted and broken but I don't know why yet. I will take the pump off and see if that is knacked, if not any ideas why this shaft would break? What drives it from the engine?
    The shaft is driven by the dizzy shaft. Normally with a high pressure pump the roll pin in the dizzy drive gear snaps before it gets to that stage, which sort of points to the pump seizing tbo if it's twisted the shaft!!
    Chris
    Ex AK427 351Cleveland T5WC

Murray

It's highly recommended to upgrade a heavy duty oil pump drive shaft on an FE if using a High volume or a high pressure oil pump

No reason why a Windsor would be any different BYM-6605-B302 for a 302 from realsteel

cheers
    Kiel and Duncan (dad and the lad errr young man now)

AHP Crendon Chassis No 1
    Ford FE 434, dual quad, Toploader total old school all the way
    https://www.crendonreplicas.com/
    http://www.absolutehorsepower.co.uk/

isn't physics amazing - to think how much force has been required to twist a hardended piece of steel to that shape - awesome.

Hope it's a simple fix though and no damage elsewere

on another note 'thrutch' - what the 'ell is that lol

rgds and good luck
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by nealgs View Post
    isn't physics amazing - to think how much force has been required to twist a hardended piece of steel to that shape - awesome.

Hope it's a simple fix though and no damage elsewere

on another note 'thrutch' - what the 'ell is that lol

rgds and good luck
    Gary
    Gary

Don't know the physics of it but the pump is creating 100 PSI of pressure via a 1/4" shaft

cheers
    Kiel and Duncan (dad and the lad errr young man now)

AHP Crendon Chassis No 1
    Ford FE 434, dual quad, Toploader total old school all the way
    https://www.crendonreplicas.com/
    http://www.absolutehorsepower.co.uk/

As said that looks like a standard oil pump drive shaft and if you are going to drive a high pressure pump then you need to upgrade this to a heavy duty style one. One of the reasons for this happening is revving the engine too much when it's cold, not a problem so much with a standard pump but with a hight pressure one there is so much more load on it.

This is one of the reasons why Uncle Wilf was so against high pressure or high volume oil pumps totally unnecessary as the standard pump is all that is required as the manufacturer who spent millions of pounds developing this. Oh and yes I run a high volume pump.......... Sorry Uncle Wilf

With the change in engine sound I strongly suspect you have trashed the bigend bearings and cam bearings for a start and will end up needing a total rebuild............don't ask me how I know, different cause but same end result I suspect
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Thanks gents, I was hoping that the change in engine sounds was the clatter from the lifters loosing oil pressure however I am expecting more damage to be found. The engine was nice and hot at the time because I had already taken my cousins husband for a ride.
    Gary, a thrutch is a good caning/ blast/ in other words giving it some stick! May have made the word up but it seems to fit the bill!
    Last edited by Murray; 08-08-14 at 10:38 PM. Reason: bit more info
    Cheers,
    Murray

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast