Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sumo petrol tank query

Is there a minimum amount of fuel required to cover the fuel pickup inside the tank? I can start the engine direct from a jerry can so I know everything works. I've put in 7 litres of petrol and the pump doesn't pickup the fuel from the tank. I've poked a wire through the inlet pipe so there doesn't seem to be a blckage. Hmmm bit stumped.

Any ideas?

Cheers Malc
    In vino veritas

Why not put more fuel in and try?

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmbuck View Post
    . . . . . .I can start the engine direct from a jerry can so I know everything works. . . . . .

Have you started your engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

Malc,

Apologies for previous post, the shock was too much!!

Did you prime the fuel pump - although if you started the engine (can't believe you did that without the "Garage Meet" crew there to laugh, sorry help!!) from a jerry can the the pump must be primed and working.

It could be air in the feed pipe & / or hose from the tank. From memory when I filled the fuel system I used a small funnel to fill the fuel hose, that connects the tank to the pump, before connecting it to the copper pipe from the tank. This, I think, helps the pump draw the fuel up out of the tank and will prevent air locks.

Having said that 7 litres (about a gallon in old mioney) is not a lot and it may not be reaching the pipe. As Tony has suggested try another gallon, at least, and try it again.

Good luck & let me know when you are starting it up again - did you get the side pipes sorted or are you on open headers?

Ian

How very inconsiderate of you Mr Buck

We could have all come to help/get in the way and generally annoy and make jibes at you.

Was it like loosing your virginity?

Noisy, over to quickly, some family members watching, a bit grin from the excitement, the neighbours complaining because of the noise, then just needing more juice to go again. Hehe

Did you film it??? (Engine start, that is?)

Check all the connections from the tank to the pump Malcolm. The slightest looseness can induce air under suction and the pump won't prime!
    Chris
    Ex AK427 351Cleveland T5WC

Well I sort of got carried away and just went for it. Started first time and sounds great. Found the odd coolant leak but sorted it. Yes I was thinking just add more petrol but I'd thought I'd ask the question. The repacked sidepipes sound a lot quieter than Mr Cs that certain Sunday morning. Set next doors dogs off though heehee!

Cheers Malc
    In vino veritas

Malc,

I feel the need for a "Garage Meet" coming on - or even a "Garage Crawl". Malc's first to hear his engine then Tommy's to see the finished paint job - if it is blue with white stripes I am going straight home to weep.

Anyone around during the week or busy this weekend?

Ian

Ian, I'm away this coming weekend but can make after work say Tuesday, Wed or Thursday?

What a sound burble roar burble oh yes!

Malc
    In vino veritas

Yay!!! Mid week meet!!! Whoop whoopp!!!

Im fairly flexible (not literally) I'm at graft most weekdays till 3pm but not this tuesday or wednesday. Off the weekend also!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast