Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool XCS 427. My word!

Went for a spin in the XCS 427 Cobra yesterday!

I heard Gary talk about this project a few years back when he and Peter were first knocking the ideas about, and I later saw it's lovely triangulated tubular chassis in build. Now the thing is finished, tweaked, tuned and polished, and what can I say? I think it's a shame Carrol Shelby couldn't have lived to see and drive this car. I think he'd have found it difficult to accept that an English outfit had achieved it, but I'm certain that he'd have agreed that Peter Walker and Gary Sanders have taken Cobra development to another level.

What I love about the car is that although this is the prototype it doesn't show any signs of being other than a full production model. The fit and finish is spot-on and it would grace any show room, yet it has a good few miles under it's belt now and a lot of those have been scratching around race tracks while Gary and Peter dialled in the settings. There's no two ways about it; this is a racing car, but it's on-road drivability is lovely. That's partly down to the modern Chevy LS engine, which can purr steadily like a kitten when stuck in a jam, or snarl, spit and howl when unleashed. Gary admits that the supercharger was probably a bit over the top, but then he always did like OTT engines (anyone remember his helicopter engined Dax Rush?). Other modern sophistications that make this car so easy to handle are the light action 2 plate clutch and the small steering wheel. I know it's often sneered at as not being authentic in a Cobra, but even way back in the 1960s petrol heads were going for small steering wheels because you could flick 'em from lock to lock like Paddy Hopkirk. But this little modern touch is not for show in this car, as Gary effortlessly demonstrated when drifting the XCS round a few roundabouts on opposite lock. The power steering is obviously doing it's job by making it possible to control the car so easily.

Until this car is given the chance to prove itself round the Top Gear track, or at least in a few serious auto magazine track tests, I think it will be hiding it's light under a bushel. However, I'm confident to suggest that the utterly awesome handling, power and braking on this car will put it right up there among the fastest super cars in the world. It's a driver's car, with stick shift gear change over a proper racing gearbox and no traction control. It get's it's power onto the road through having a lovely stiff chassis and Peter Walker's brilliant camber compensating, anti-roll suspension front and back. This is a very advanced, blindingly fast sports car, and it's 100% pure Cobra. How satisfying is that?

Henry Ferguson
    'I tell you, we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.' Kurt Vonnegut
    DAX DeDion Chevy 350ci

That's a good write up Henry, did you manage to drive the car yourself??
    BIG TONE

Mercedes SL owner, definitely NOT a kitcar owner like you lot!

Hi Tony,
    I have a Dax de-dion, so I have pretty good idea how civilised the XCS is on the road. I wanted Gary to put it through it's paces - These cars have so much grip it's ridiculous, so I wouldn't try to drive it quickly on the road without getting the feel of it on a track first. The XCS will be at Brands Hatch on Nov 15th. That should be fun.
    Last edited by Cob; 26-10-14 at 11:31 AM.
    'I tell you, we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.' Kurt Vonnegut
    DAX DeDion Chevy 350ci

I have a question....it says on their website for drivers 6' 5" and beyond.....most standard Cobra replica's I have tried including my own Sumo mk3 do not fit drivers of that size....I had to mod my seats and pedals to fit.....some manufactures offer 2" extra chassis length etc.....

is the cockpit really that big?
    It's a Fake......get over it!

Quote Originally Posted by sumoboy View Post
    I have a question....it says on their website for drivers 6' 5" and beyond....
    ..... is the cockpit really that big?
    You'll have to get Gary or Peter to answer that, but I doubt they'd make such a claim lightly.
    DAX DeDion Chevy 350ci

Quoted from their website:

"
    • An exceptionally spacious 'open-feel' interior. The XCS 427 has longer & wider footwells and a lower seating position making it possible to accommodate an unusually broad spectrum of drivers and passengers with heights of up to 6’ 5” and even beyond!

• Comfort for all. A generous range of seat adjustment and the addition of an adjustable pedal box (with simple one-handed operation) ensure that the XCS 427 accommodates virtually all shapes and sizes in complete comfort.
    "
    It's a Fake......get over it!

They've obviously taken the Dax chassis further than before. Dave Brookes built my Dax dedion with extended footwell. I'm 6'2" and 'big boned' and can drive in comfort with legs fully extended.

I love the idea of adjustable seat and pedal box (which I don't have) to allow others not of my height to drive the car. A good development.

David

Newton Abbot, Devon, UK. (God's waiting room)
    Its a completely new design chassis and a pure work of art.

XCS Designs and the Camber Compensation & Anti-Roll (CC&AR) Suspension System
    Mike
    Cobraless

I've often been asked, "What do you old folks do now that you're retired?
    Well, I'm fortunate to have a chemical engineering background, one of the things I enjoy most is turning beer, wine, Scotch and margaritas into urine.

Life's good, live it.

David (LUX).
    Your seat is adjustable, they can be a little stiff initially though.
    There is a lever under the front of the seat
    Pro Cobra Builder
    DB427SC

DB REPLICAS
    Find us on Facebook
    db427.com
    Low Volume manufacturer of
    ALUMINIUM BODY, ROUND TUBE CHASSIS.
    ORIGINAL SPEC. SUSPENSION COBRAS.
    OEM style stainless SIDEPIPES

I am 6'5" and sat in the xcs at its last show,i can honestly say i had loads of leg room......just didn't get to drive it!!!.....Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast