Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

SE Region Whats happened.

As the title says really.
    Not wishing to step on anyones toes here or upset anyone as I myself have been away from the scene for a while so could be just as guilty as anyone for anything..
    Having been to Detling this weekend and talked to some of the guys and whats been posted on the forum I was wondering exactly what has happened to the SE over the last few years or so. General consensus seems to be that there is very little going on these days and that it appears that all of the meets have for one reason or another fallen by the wayside as well as attendance to any shows. Admittedly I used to organize the midweek meet in Maidstone but for various reasons decided to take a step back from the Cobra scene and the forum for a while but what has happened to everything else.
    I know that the weather in general over the time has probably not been the most favorable and has maybe not helped much but that didn't seem to much of a problem in the past. I know that Dave was a very popular Rep when he did it and I understand that Steve M has taken over the post for a while now but nothing seems to be going on. Before anyone starts accusing me I am in no way blaming or trying to blame Steve as I a) don't even know him personally and b) I have not been around myself much anyway so it would be fair to say that I may not be in possession of all or any of the facts that may of contributed to the current situation.
    It would be good to see what peoples opinions and maybe even ideas are to see what has happened and maybe why. Is this just confined to the SE or are other regions experiencing the same thing as well. Has the number of Cobra owners declined over the last few years or is it down to other circumstances. Maybe things have happened that people don't wish to post on a public forum for one reason or another. If so then feel free to PM me if you wish. I'm interested to maybe find out what has happened and why.

Please do not take any of this out of context against anyone individual under any circumstances as it is in no way meant to be insinuated like that in any way but more of a general question to all past, present and future

Gareth
    Gareth

Seriously modified Sumo with a Ford 363. SOLD. Now building a Mercury Cyclone Spoiler.

Hi Gareth I went to detling yesterday only a few cobras there. I would be interested in helping out . Would be good to get meets going again although I'm some years away from attending in a cobra as the kit only arrived on Friday . If there is anything I can do please let me know . Thanks Rich

I don't think any one thing is to blame for the under attendance Gareth. As you said the weather has played a major part in it, but people also move on in various ways, it's the same with all the regions. Brian, DaveC, the two Robins, Dave the Magician and even yourself all have young families now so family stuff tends to take priority. Some have aged parents or other family illnesses to cope with, money is tight with some people, and some have just sold their cars and moved on.
    Chris
    Ex AK427 351Cleveland T5WC

Hi Gareth,
    I'm open to ideas to try to get some interest ticking again. To be honest weather didn't help much last year - very few good meet days. Best we were getting at the monthly meets last year was a handful of attendees.

I am happy to try organising runs or other meet locations or whatever people may want to try different. Possibly a different monthly meet location may be worth trying - somewhere where we can get a coffee and a bacon roll but still be somewhere near the cars?
    I attend a monthly Classic Car meet at a Café in Forest Row which is run by a car mad guy. He is happy to host our meets if we like, or even just to be the start/end of a run. The last few times I tried to organise a run to start from there I had no takers - this may be because this place in Forest Row is on the very edge of the region?

If anyone has anything other ideas on what they would like to see me organise then please let me know

FYI - This year I did speak with the Detling organisers as I usually like attending this show but my post on the forum didn't get any responses and as I had to work myself over this weekend I didn't want to commit to numbers when it was possible we wouldn't have anyone there.

Rich - Happy to have some extra input and ideas. Good luck with the kit!
    Steve

Mk. 4 GD / SBC383 Performer RPM / TKO600 / Big grin...

Quote Originally Posted by Purple AK View Post
    I don't think any one thing is to blame for the under attendance Gareth. As you said the weather has played a major part in it, but people also move on in various ways, it's the same with all the regions. Brian, DaveC, the two Robins, Dave the Magician and even yourself all have young families now so family stuff tends to take priority. Some have aged parents or other family illnesses to cope with, money is tight with some people, and some have just sold their cars and moved on.
    All the above is probably fair comment to a degree Chris..What would be interesting to know though is how many guys that used to attend one, two or all of the meets or shows etc still have thier cars today and what there reasons are for not going to any shows or meets etc these days. Is it due to the points you raised above or something else. How many of the original guys would attend meets if they were organized and how many' new ' people would turn up if anything was organized...curiosity really. When the original meets were going not all turned up in cobras regardless of the weather...some were building ( what happened to them ) some were considering building ( did anyone actually build one or not ) and some were just interested in general. We used to get 10 or more cobs plus others in the midweek meet and I remember when there was at least 15+ at westerham that's not including anything you guys got down your way as well...

Hi Gareth

I remember 26 at the grasshopper back in 2009

I have been off the road since October with the re paint and other things but, probably made 8 or 9 meets a year for the last few years I am probably a month or so from getting mot and tax

as for this year I have got silverstone and the revival booked for a weekend at both

I am looking forward to meeting up at the riverside cafe and a drive on to the grasshopper and maybe some drives out, maybe meet up with the sussex lot, brighton one sunday perhaps?
    Sumo, modified

Brighton sounds good I'd be up for that if anybody else is ?

Mr purple pretty much summed it up, also my car has been off the road for the last 4 years for a full rebuild, but I was out in it this eve driving around Worthing.

Gareth

i for one thank you for your views i am not an active member of the club , however i do attend the cafe in forest row most months
    i have also attended a couple of tvr outings this year both as a driver in a cobra and a passenger in one of theirs
    it would be a pleasure to meet up with you at any time just let us know where

I wouldn't disagree with anything that anybody has currently said regarding what appears to be the demise of the SE region...I know that some have had there cars off the road for various reasons etc etc...but I wonder what happened to all those that used to attend and those that may now have cobs that did not have them before. I'm sorry but I don't recall all the names of everyone who used to go and I know that some were not members of this forum or the crc but of those that used to go I believe most have still got thier cars so wonder what they do now. Equally I guess that some of the shows may no longer be going that were attended but I would of thought that would be beneficial to a monthly meet. Maybe not.
    I guess it would be interesting if Steve could get an idea of numbers of people who would be interested in a meet and where and when. I know that was always an issue in the past which was why I organized the midweek meet in Maidstone before as a lot of the guys then couldn't make the grasshopper on a Sunday. Has anyone else got any ideas or maybe the whole thing has run its course now.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast