Anyone any Opinions on the Ebay Cobra Bodyshells ?

Hi All,

I am just drawing up my chassis plans using 'cobra restorers' plans as a guide, though mine will be more of an Ak/Dax derivative. I am considering purchasing a bodyshell from Ebay:

NEW COBRA BODYSHELL KITCAR REPLICA | eBay

From viewing the pictures it appears to my eye to be a Cobretti derived shell, judging by the flared arches, anyone else think so or have an opinion? The width dimensions look quite big too, I am hoping that this bodyshell will accomodate the Jag IRS without shortening, though I would be grateful if someone could put me right if that isn't the case.

Lastly I would like to say hello to everyone as I am a Newbie here and wish everyone a Happy New Year.

Regards

Jim

Hi Jim,

Why are you scratch building a chassis? Is it budget restrictions? If so then it may be better to buy a used cobra and restore and or upgrade it as time and funds permit? There are sound reasons for this advice. Most of the cost of building a car is not in the chassis or body so the savings to be had there are minimal and the final car will be worth a fraction of a comparable known marque.

If you are completely determined then there are other bodies on EBay from time to time. Being honest, the one you linked to looks truly horrific. The proportions are all wrong, particularly at the rear. Compare the rear arches in front of the door, the offside one is half the size of the NS one for starters?!

Also be aware that the cobra restorers plans are known to have a number of dimensional inaccuracies. The scratch builders forum on clubcobra in the US could help you more in that regard. Www.clubcobra.com

Sorry for the perhaps unwelcome reply but welcome to the place, stick around and you'll get a lot of help here whichever route you choose
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Thanks Lloyd for your words of wisdom. I agree with all you have said, it is just that building from a kit wouldn't be enough of a challenge for me. I think I will go to Leeds and have a look at the shell in the flesh and take some pictures. I know about the Cobra Restorers plans being inaccurate and I have a couple of solid models of a Dax frame and the Hurricane frame found on the web in my CAD package so I can compare and contrast. My chassis will be standard Cobra fair, a simple ladder frame with a backbone brace. What I am considering now is whether to stick with the hard to obtain Jag gear or use Mazda MX5. Plentiful and cheap and good for 250bhp. I have a couple of Miata based Locost plansets and I would be able to use the geometry from there. Thanks again for your constructive thoughts and taking the time to put them down on 'paper' for me.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by joshua3 View Post
    What I am considering now is whether to stick with the hard to obtain Jag gear or use Mazda MX5. Plentiful and cheap and good for 250bhp.
    Regards

Jim
    Jim,

Jag stuff is 10-a-penny, available at the drop of a hat either grubby/oiley DIY or as a completely refurbed off the peg set - proven to way north of 600BHP. MX5 might be available but would be sooooo wrong in a Cob

IMHO

Jim

Fair enough, nothing wrong with a challenge as long as you walk in with your eyes open etc why not start a build thread on here and keep us up to speed with how you get on?

Good luck.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jim View Post
    Jim,

Jag stuff is 10-a-penny, available at the drop of a hat either grubby/oiley DIY or as a completely refurbed off the peg set - proven to way north of 600BHP. MX5 might be available but would be sooooo wrong in a Cob

IMHO

Jim
    all that effort and then being limited to 250bhp.....wrong, just wrong for a cobra!

Hi Guys, Happy New Year. I like to think I ma a sensible person, so I will bow to the consensus and go Jag . The last time I bought a set of axles I paid 250gbp with a LSD. If Jag stuff is 10-a-penny I hope I can get them for a similar price. As I don't have them yet, would anyone be able to help me out with the dimensions of the suspension attachment points so that I can proceed with my chassis design? Maybe I should start a fresh post :-/. Thanks Guys...Jim