Have engine crane, will travel!!!!!!!!

Well the weekend was eventful. Bored of all the festivities and full of turkey prior to the return to work today, I was contacted by a local cobra builder who needed a bit of help installing his engine into his Dax. So off I trotted engine lift plate in hand and ready to work.

On arrival I instantly recognised a problem in his engine crane would not reach over the dax body far enough to get it in so after a few moments head scratching a little light came on.

One call to my father and he came to the rescue with a much larger, ground free engine crane which in less than 5 minutes from hoisting it up saw the engine and gearbox in its rightful place and us drinking a cuppa.

Now I apologise for the pictures being a bit out of focus but I think Andy (who's car it was and who took them) was a bit shakey from seeing what was occurring.

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/...ps79990e19.jpg

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/...pse8ba65bb.jpg

So now the serious bit

Andy the car owner was fully aware of what we proposed and was happy for us to use this method to get the engine in. He even agreed that if ever he had to take it out or do the job again he would like us to use this method as it was so easy with control in every direction. Ok it helps that a man who has driven these machines for over 50 years was at the controls and could move in less than 5mm increments at our request. (That said I could have done it better but don't all sons always know better)
    I couldn't be in the digger and watching the install at the same time though.

I would also like to highlight that if customers bring their cars to me this is not how I would decide to work on their vehicles and this post is meant in a humorous context at Andys request and with his permission. That said given the times I have struggled with engine cranes and the lack of movement in all directions they have etc I could recommend this approach.

Anyway Andy who was not sure how to upload photos thought everyone would like to see this and maybe have a chuckle so here it is.
    ANTHONY
    Absolute Horsepower Ltd
    Home of the CR427

Anthony......I could not have put it better!,what a piece of cake that was,and as you said 5 to 10 minutes and it was all over,the precision with which you have over the controls really does beat the crap out of a small hoist which you would have to pull and shove about..fair play to your dads skills as a jcb driver.........job done and on we go..........many thanks and enjoy the beer....Andy

Looking at the photos gravel is no surface for a non JCB engine hoist.....
    Build Started 24/02/13 IVA'd 16/10/2014 registration completed 26/11/2014. First drive 27/11/2014

Concrete floor in garage Neil,just couldn't get jcb in!

Unfortunately it is not taken into consideration by most architects....
    Build Started 24/02/13 IVA'd 16/10/2014 registration completed 26/11/2014. First drive 27/11/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Chimeara View Post
    Well the weekend was eventful. Bored of all the festivities and full of turkey prior to the return to work today, I was contacted by a local cobra builder who needed a bit of help installing his engine into his Dax. So off I trotted engine lift plate in hand and ready to work.

On arrival I instantly recognised a problem in his engine crane would not reach over the dax body far enough to get it in so after a few moments head scratching a little light came on.

One call to my father and he came to the rescue with a much larger, ground free engine crane which in less than 5 minutes from hoisting it up saw the engine and gearbox in its rightful place and us drinking a cuppa.

Now I apologise for the pictures being a bit out of focus but I think Andy (who's car it was and who took them) was a bit shakey from seeing what was occurring.

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/...ps79990e19.jpg

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/...pse8ba65bb.jpg

So now the serious bit

Andy the car owner was fully aware of what we proposed and was happy for us to use this method to get the engine in. He even agreed that if ever he had to take it out or do the job again he would like us to use this method as it was so easy with control in every direction. Ok it helps that a man who has driven these machines for over 50 years was at the controls and could move in less than 5mm increments at our request. (That said I could have done it better but don't all sons always know better)
    I couldn't be in the digger and watching the install at the same time though.

I would also like to highlight that if customers bring their cars to me this is not how I would decide to work on their vehicles and this post is meant in a humorous context at Andys request and with his permission. That said given the times I have struggled with engine cranes and the lack of movement in all directions they have etc I could recommend this approach.

Anyway Andy who was not sure how to upload photos thought everyone would like to see this and maybe have a chuckle so here it is.
    Attachment 30368 Where's the LIKE button? Attachment 30368

Hmmmmmmm never thought of that,lol now where to get a jcb? Thanks for the call by the way, regards Dave B

No longer living in Rhyl but still in North Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by britbits View Post
    Hmmmmmmm never thought of that,lol now where to get a jcb?
    How many would you like - there are apparently 105 going begging!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-30695349
    Cheers

Dai

I am a diplomat for peace but sometimes I have to use full contact sign language for the hard of hearing