Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hydraulic ramps.

I was considering getting a hydraulic lift but decided against it based on the number of times it would get used and the difficulty of moving it if I move house. A good compromise might be hydraulic drive on ramps. Anyone recommend a good safe design and point out any useful features. Thanks.
    Dek

Bought mine in January this year and would not want to be without it. It is used every week and the car sits on the ramp all the time. I accept it is not as good as a ramp that you can stand under but at least you can sit on a trolley and work under the car. When you are restricted to height then it is a good option. Mine will lift 3.5ton (you do not need the 3.5ton but they look the business) and raises the car 1300mm. Runs off 13amp plug/socket which drives a hydraulic motor/pump. You do not need air with mine. Some of the cheaper models you need both electric and air and I did not want to start the compressor every time I used the ramp. I bought the extra ramps for each end of the ramp which I think are better for our cars. Total with VAT £2136
    Equipment4garages - 01727 875695
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

You can pop over and have a look Dek. More than welcome for a cuppa
    Charlie
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

you can get a new 2 post single phase hyd ramp for £1250, if you have the hight go for it, the best thing I have bought.

regards
    shuggie

Quote Originally Posted by AKCharlie View Post
    You can pop over and have a look Dek. More than welcome for a cuppa
    Charlie
    Thanks Charlie. Your type is what I started looking at initially and I've followed closely what you've been up to with yours. (you'll be able to regularly polish your new sump shield!). Aren't they quite difficult to move though? Worries me if I want to move in the near future I might have to leave it behind.
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by shuggie View Post
    you can get a new 2 post single phase hyd ramp for £1250, if you have the hight go for it, the best thing I have bought.

regards
    shuggie
    That's a reasonable price but just worried it would be difficult to take with me if I move house.
    Dek

You can get a set of wheels and a dolly for about £150 so you can pull it out of the garage. However, you still have to lift it on the removal truck. You really need someone with a small truck with a HIAB on it as you would need 6 guys (or 4 v strong guys) to lift it on a lorry!
    Cheers
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    Thanks Charlie. Your type is what I started looking at initially and I've followed closely what you've been up to with yours. (you'll be able to regularly polish your new sump shield!). Aren't they quite difficult to move though? Worries me if I want to move in the near future I might have to leave it behind.
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by AKCharlie View Post
    You can get a set of wheels and a dolly for about £150 so you can pull it out of the garage. However, you still have to lift it on the removal truck. You really need someone with a small truck with a HIAB on it as you would need 6 guys (or 4 v strong guys) to lift it on a lorry!
    Cheers
    Charlie
    That what I thought Charlie and is what is putting me off. Also have to put it in context of how much I would use it and I must admit the older I get the less inclined I am to crawl under cars. You seem to be getting your monies worth out of yours though!
    Dek

FWIW.
    I don't think I would have one, not for full builds. There is too much mechanism getting in the way of building a car. They look great from bleeding the brakes while standing up. But to work underneath you will need to look up, and bending down to get underneath with make that difficult to say the least.
    I made some dollies that support the chassis about 18" off the floor. I can easily get underneath (A crawler board would make that even easier, I don't have one). I can do the brake bleed whilst either kneeling or sitting on a mechanics stool. I can access all the floor area and between the main rails (if I position the dollies where there is a chassis cross member) with nothing in the way.
    If I need to climb in the engine bay I can either go underneath (Not usually) or I stand on a box at the side of the car and climb over from the top. (Maybe I should get some small step ladders for that!)
    And... If I drop crap on the floor I can easily push the car on it's dollies to one side and sweep up.
    A low(ish) profile trolley jack with a reasonable lift height puts the car on the dollies.

Just sayin'

[img]
    Last edited by dave; 14-05-17 at 09:40 PM.
    Pro Cobra Builder
    DB427SC

DB REPLICAS
    Find us on Facebook
    db427.com
    Low Volume manufacturer of
    ALUMINIUM BODY, ROUND TUBE CHASSIS.
    ORIGINAL SPEC. SUSPENSION COBRAS.
    OEM style stainless SIDEPIPES

I have had a two post lift for years now - from pre-cobra days. I had similar requirements to you - wanted to be able to work more easily without bending, crawling, wanted as little intrusion/blocking of the underside but mainly needed portability in case I moved house. The one I got is perfect - it leaves most of the underside exposed and was dead easy to install (one man job) and I can remove it in 20 mins and put in a transit. Essentially it is two separate posts bolted to the floor, no connections between the two or complicated set up. Each has a hydraulic ram connected back to portable pump unit that runs off a 13 amp plug. The company were great - I needed 10 mins on the phone with them to balance the rams and that was that. I paid £1350 - looks like it has gone up since then £1530+ - check out this link and scroll down to the second one from the bottom.

http://www.sjrgarageequipment.co.uk/2-post-lifts/

Best thing I ever bought and with 8 cars in the household - it is rare that one or another is not up on it!

Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast