Battery Power Issue Found

I was pulling my hair out with my starting issues on my car,

I have bought two batteries and both were giving me the same issue, struggling to turn the crank and did start the car but it really struggled and would only start it around 2 - 3 times then the battery would need charged.

The starter motor was the OEM one and it could not even insert into the crank, every time I needed to turn the crank using a ratchet to allow the cog to insert into the crank cog, when i installed the new starter motor, it was struggling to turn the crank and I could not start the car, i used the battery from my everyday car and tried to start my car, but no joy but after trying for about 40 secs with my everyday car running i started to see smoke coming from the engine.

So checked everything and found that the car engine was not earthed properly to the chassis, the engine was earthing through the hydraulic hose on the power steering pump, I earthed the chassis and the engine together and now the car turns no problem, car starts first time on battery bought for it and the battery lasts like a normal battery.

I am delighted that it is all ok and no damaged has been caused, but even under checking with a multi meter I was getting a dead short to earth from everywhere on the engine and chassis, it was just under load I was losing power and if I had not used my everyday car to try and start my car, i would still be searching. I thought the engine and chassis were adequately earthed but now i know they weren't so I suggest that if anyone has any similar issues then to make sure the earth it really good.

I'm sure the first answer on your original thread was from me saying earth problem, you're welcome

Tony was spot on. You should have listened to the advice being offered.

If you haven't already done so, you need a big hefty earth strap from your engine to your chassis. You can get braided steel straps specifically for this purpose.

Paul

yep, braided copper straps either side of mine, electricity doesn't care where it completes it's circuit, it will take whatever it can get. usually this can be the cause of many car fires as excessive current tries to flow through wrongly sized earth connections, intentional or not. quite often overlooked, not paid much attention too until there's a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    I'm sure the first answer on your original thread was from me saying earth problem, you're welcome
    Yes it was and I went out and checked and as I said I checked it and it was dead short to chassis, so I thought it was sufficient but obviously not, you live and learn.
    I now have 2 earthing straps on my car

Oh and thanks