Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Hi Dek, I had already panelled in the grille area in front of the rad, with the side panels riveted and bonded to the inner arch and "sandwiched" between the radiator and the inner arches, as you can see in the photo below.

I haven't removed the radiator to do this, in fact I've only removed the horn, taped up some hoses out of the way and put the header tank to give me a bit of clearance. The front part of the new aluminium inner arches is now bonded to the front aluminium panels, with the join hidden behind the radiator side tanks. Obviously doing this work would be a much nicer looking affair if the body was off the chassis, or at the least if the engine etc wasn't in place. I would far rather have been able to make theses inner arches in one piece without having to resort to riveting it all together, as it would have looked so much neater. Even if the engine wasn't in there, it would have still been virtually impossible to do it "correctly" as you still wouldn't be able to squeeze the full size panels into the area they're supposed to be as they'd be too tall to fit between the chassis rails and the body itself. I hope that makes sense.

The centre panel is straight forward enough to do, but it's when you get into the front and rear panels it starts to get awkward. I made some "L" shaped brackets which were riveted to the tops of the chassis rails, and the bottom of the panels were then riveted to the brackets offering support there ( you should be able to see those rivets in the photos). Where it became really awkward was trying to get the panelling to go around the master cylinder and servo. This is made up from three pieces, all riveted together in situ, but all mocked up on the bench first, with all the holes drilled and held together with panel clamps

The passenger side was easier, but due to the depth of the arch towards the rear, I had to make that panel in two pieces. I riveted a plate behind the top panel, so that the bottom panel could be riveted flush to it, making it look a much better joint than if it were overlapped. hopefully this photo will show how it's done

The ends at the rear of the arches are fixed by screws and rivets to the inner arch, just behind the side vents on the wings.

This is the finished passengers side

All in, it took me two days to make the templates for both sides and it's taken two days to panel out both sides, but I think it looks a lot better than it did and was well worth getting a stiff back leaning over the car for so long. I just wish that I could have made them as one piece without all of the bits being riveted together, but as I said, that's not possible on a body that fixed to the chassis, or with the engine in situ

Nige

I can only stand back and say Wow!
    How the hell you did this and how the hell you did it in a few days, is beyond me Nige.
    Even the aluminium looks un-marked!
    It does look loads better than before and you must be really pleased with it.
    There will not be a part of this car left that you haven't improved!
    Alan
    http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/slideshow.php?photo=8946&cat=500&slideshow=1&slide delay=3

After overheating at the Cranleigh show, I've made a start on revamping the cooling system, along with tidying up the engine bay. The top hose on mine was a piece of stainless that went diagonally across the engine bay, and whilst it worked ok, I wasn't too happy with the look of it.

I bought two aluminium 90 deg bends and a piece of straight tubing and welded them together, so that the hose doglegged overtowards the inner arch and down to the radiator. I also added a small tube to the top of the hose at the thermostat end for the return.

I originally thought that the aluminium tube would look nice, but the more I looked at it, the more I began to hate it. I felt that it looked like a piece of old household plumbing, not the nice "trick" piece I'd envisaged. After some deep thought and consideration (thanks Nik) I decided to paint it satin black, which, by the time the stainless clips are fiitted it should look about right. The hose won't be as long where it runs down the inner arch, as there's a 45 deg rubber elbow coming from the rad and mounting to the ali hose just rearwards of the join in the inner arch.

I took this opportunity to alter the front brace to form an X as opposed to the straight square section tube. I cut out the square tube and then plated the end with some steel.

Some tubing was then welded together to form the X brace and was then trial fitted and welded

The chassis was then sanded down, masked up and sprayed in VHT "chassis and roll bar" satin black

I've also media blasted the timing cover, alternator bracket, top pulley etc to get them back to a nice raw aluminium look. My blaster wouldn't touch the paint that was on the valve covers though, God knows what it is. I ended up taking it to an industrial blasters, to blast it with a wet sand media. I've just lightly sanded the fins and lettering with some 320 w&d to make them stand out a little

Well, that was one horrible job to do, as it seems like I've been leaning over the front of the car forever. My back is really starting to play up now. At one point whilst sanding the chassis down I got stuck in the engine bay and really struggled to get out

I've now got to put it all back together again and then detail everything in the engine bay as I go. I've also been in touch with a company that refurbishes Dellorto carbs, so hopefully I can get those quad downdraughts on there fairly soon

Nige

Having painted the chassis in the engine bay, it was time to re route the brake lines and then start putting the whole lot back together and detail it.

Brake pipes secured

The Cobra valve covers have been media blasted to remove all of the black paint and the fins and logo now have a light brushed ali finish to them just to high light them. The top hose was made from two 90 deg bends and polished and the top pulley was also polished. All the nuts and bolts are now stainless, along with the clips holding all the hoses together. All of the hose bends are now preformed.

I've also blasted the front timing cover and water pump back to bare aluminium as it makes a nice contrast to the black engine block. An aluminium washer bottle and overflow catch can have also now been fitted on the n/s footlwell. I'm currently redoing the footwell tops and getting them prepped to paint cream. Almost there now

The engine bay as it was

the engine bay as it is at the moment

Cheers.....Nige
    Last edited by Outcast; 08-11-16 at 11:36 AM.

I made some aluminium covers to go onto the the top footwells and sprayed them cream.

The downdraught DRlA 40's have now been sent away to be refurbished, so I'm going to fit them during the Xmas break if I can escape to the garage. I'm hoping it'll take the look of the engine bay to a different level with them on, whilst giving it a bit more performance.

Nige

This has become no ordinary cobra re-vamp - quite a transformation.
    Your dedication, motivation and workmanship is a revelation to all. ( wish you were my neighbour! )
    Keep it up Nige - fantastic!
    Alan
    http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/slideshow.php?photo=8946&cat=500&slideshow=1&slide delay=3

Well, maybe it's about time to update this thread a little. I've just about finished the engine bay work at last. I've just been so busy with other stuff that it's taken way longer than it should have and has been on the back burner whilst everything else took precedence.
    This is the engine bay as it was when I bought it

And this is how it looks now.

I'm relatively pleased with the way it looks, it could be better, but that would entail taking the engine out, and at this point in time I really don't want to be doing that. Working around the engine and leaning over the wings for hours on end isn't a nice experience I can assure you. It's even harder trying to fabricate stuff and make it all fit in such confined spaces.

Almost every nut and bolt is now stainless (but not polished), all of the hoses have been replaced, the front upper crossmember changed to an "X", aluminium inner arches fabricated and the rest of the chassis cleaned and painted. All that's left now is to clean it all and fine detail it. Oh!! then in the New Year fit the quad downdraughts, Yay!!

Nige

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910