Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Thanks Ian, no, I've not got around to fitting the downdraughts yet as I've been a bit busy doing doing other cars, I'll probably fit them at the end of the Summer now.
    cheers..Nige

These pics and descriptions, Nige are truly inspirational.

when I bought my Cobra recently, my wife asked in that way that women have, pf making a question sound exactly like it’s an instruction, “if you buy this, you’re not going to take this car apart like you did with that last one are you?!”

of course, I said , “ no dear, that would be silly of me”

Then I saw your pics.......................

It's been a while since I posted any updates on the car, as I've been using it instead of cutting it up like I usually do. However, with the aluminium dash almost completed, it's come time to rectify some thing that has really irritated me since day one. The rear valance on the car is totally the wrong shape, as it not only curves upwards in the middle, but also curves inwards towards the boot. Although I really don't like the over riders and bars on the rear, I've kept them on there to hide the visual discrepancies of the rear end. Having come home from Silverstone, I'm now feeling the need to rectify this.

I've laid up some fibreglass on the rear valance of Owains FIA and this will become the new rear valance to fit on the car, giving a better shape. It's going to need cutting and shutting a little, but having offered it up to the car, it's not a million miles away from fitting. here's a few photos to be going on with

This shows the upwwards curve of the rear valance

This photo clearly shows the inwards curve

The new valance being laid up on the FIA

If I get time over the next few weeks, I might also sort out the rear tail lights as the plinths that they sit on irritate me and I'd like to fit the new Spyda L452 tail lights to it.

Nige

Whilst working on the rear, I also felt that a few other changes wouldn't be out of place. I started by putting a black 1/4" pinstripe down the outside of the white stripes and I feel that it looks better like this.

However, whilst at Silverstone I got talking with Ollie Bryant with GPG4C, and looking closely at the car, I thought that it might be a good idea to alter the stripes on mine to match those on GPG. I've quickly run some lining tape around the nose of my car to see what it looks like. I'll leave it on there for a while to see if I like it, rather than make a spontaneous decision, and if after a week or so I'm still liking it, then I'll paint the nose section in white and stripe it.

Here's the lining tape showing what I'm thinking of doing, obviously the inside of the stripe would be white.

here's a very crudely done image

To look something like this

Nige
    Last edited by Outcast; 31-07-18 at 08:09 PM.

Well, at long last I've managed to get a bit of spare time to get back on with the aluminium dash I was making for my "Modsports" Cobra. I Trial fitted it into the car today, and it looks way better than the one that was in there before. The switchgear resting on the transmission tunnel is going to be fitted to the "drop down" part of the dash. I'm undecided whether to leave it in raw brushed aluminium or paint it satin black like the rest of the interior, I don't fancy a leather finish like they had back in the day.

Nige

My friend Owain has been sorting out some wiring issues on the car, and the dash is now fully wired ready to fit. Can't wait to get this fitted as it'll look soooo much better than the original one that was in there.

Cheers..Nige

Spectacular stuff... Brushed ally dashboard is a great idea!

Well, after careful consideration I've painted the stripes on the car to follow the nose section .

On with the rear valance next....
    Nige

Here's the finished interior, I also made some aluminium gaiter surrounds for the gearshift and handbrake

Cheers..NIge

Looks amazing, Nige. I'd give you a kidney for a dash like that*

*possibly a slight exaggeration, I like having a spare kidney.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast