Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Hi Rob, so i'm not alone in this then lol. When you first look at a Viper it all appears to be visually correct, but as soon as put a tape measure to it you enter into a world of hurt. The o/s headlight is 30mm nearer to the centre of the car than the n/s. Not only that but it's also 20mm lower than the n/s too. The profile of the front of the wings ie the crown is also dramatically different. If you sight the car down the drivers side, or put a straight edge along the door, you'll find that the wing actually tapers inwards at the arch by, yep you guessed it 30mm. The grille opening isn't the right shape either & isn't elliptical, the opening is larger on the n/s than the offside, plus it's actually canted higher on the n/s too. It would seem that the car that it was moulded off could well have been a 289, that has been made to look like a 427. Whatever car it was moulded off, I can only assume it has had damage & been repaired incorrectly, hence throwing out the dimensions. Incidentally, the rear 1/4's aren't the same as a 427 either & the rear decklid has been raised so that the profile off the bootlid is wrong.

I was originally going to narrow the front end, hence asking about what rack was used, but as I'm a panel beater sprayer by profession, I decided to modify the body/arches instead, which would allow me to correct some, of the dimension discrepancies. I say some, as to rectify them all, would take a huge amount of work, for something that 99% of people would never notice anyway. I must admit I've wondered how many Viper owners, or others that are into Cobras have ever noticed how far out they really are.As I said at the beginning, it's not until you put a tape to it that it all became glaringly obvious.

To rectify the horrid front arches, I bought two outer front wing skins. I cut off the Viper wings where necessary & bonded on the new wings, whilst squaring things up a bit. I then cut off the arches from the new wings, cut off the arches from the old wings & fitted them in the right place. It was a case then of fiberglassing it all up & giving it a skim of filler to finish it all off. here's a couple of photos of it in the process of being done.

The new wings were put loosely in place & the arches were removed. I left a small part of the arch on there for me to be able to have something to bond the new arches to

This is the new wing offered up in place with the trimmed old arch screwed on to see how it looks

A bit of cutting was required to get the profile right around the headlight area

At this point it's all just screwed in place

If you look at the grille aperture you can see the shape is different from side to side

I cut the grille aperture & pulled it & clamped it to where it should be

cheers..Nige
    Last edited by Outcast; 18-05-15 at 12:24 PM.

Once happy with the shape of it all, the winds were unscrewed & the gaps where it had been cut were fibreglassed

Some bits of steel just holding things where they need to be. The steel was removed once the 'glass had cured

The wings were then bonded into place with fibreglass matt & resin

Then fitted to the car, the join is clearly visible here

Once that has cured, the 'glass was sanded down & two layers were then glassed over the top of the joins, so that the new panels are now sandwiched in between layers of 'glass.

Not visible in the photo's but I bent some 6mm bar to the shape of the arches & bonded it in place. I've also smoothed out the underside of the arch so that if you were to put your hands under there it would feel smooth ie no fibreglass & it has a wired edge as per an original

Once all of the fiberglassing is done, it's then a case of give it a few light skims of filler & then the paint process.

All in it's taken me just under three weeks of spare time to get it to this stage. next on the agenda is the 289 style front valance & grille, but that's another story

Tremendous piece of work and hats off to you for taking it on.

Hey Nige

That looks really good thank you so much for taking the time to show how you have done it. I havn't tackled anything like this before and so the what I want thoughts don't always become reality before talent runs out. I have been wondering if I could cut the fibrerglass and re attach it without having a weak point at the joint I thought I might have to create a zip zag pattern on each piece as a kind of Joint and then add a layer over the top but then blend at all although I haven't got busy with the tape measure as yet. so It sounds like I might have some re-jigging to do.

I have been looking through your other projects on there and the images are great so see how you have used the sheet metal on the projects. Mine might be a little more difficult because It isn't anywhere near yet and so the IVA might not like the shape I want because the wheel might me a little close to the arch.

Also a little curious too have you decided to do anything with the flat boot curve that seems to be the second big issue with these things. at present I have got a jack under mine pushing the body up to try and get some curve on it without having to have a big block of fibreglass layers and making it really thick.

Once again fantastic job you certainly give me confidence to get the saw ready.

thanks

Rob.
    Last edited by spitfire1942; 18-05-15 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spitfire1942 View Post
    Hey Nige

That looks really good thank you so much for taking the time to show how you have done it. I havn't tackled anything like this before and so the what I want thoughts don't always become reality before talent runs out. I have been wondering if I could cut the fibrerglass and re attach it without having a weak point at the joint I thought I might have to create a zip zag pattern on each piece as a kind of Joint and then add a layer over the top but then blend at all although I haven't got busy with the tape measure as yet. so It sounds like I might have some re-jigging to do.

I have been looking through your other projects on there and the images are great so see how you have used the sheet metal on the projects. Mine might be a little more difficult because It isn't anywhere near yet and so the IVA might not like the shape I want because the wheel might me a little close to the arch.

Also a little curious too have you decided to do anything with the flat boot curve that seems to be the second big issue with these things. at present I have got a jack under mine pushing the body up to try and get some curve on it without having to have a big block of fibreglass layers and making it really thick.

thanks

Rob.
    When we sorted out the boot deck shape on my mates car we made a lot of small cut's on the return where the boot seal sits and then made up a steel former to the correct shape we were after and actually glassed that in so that it would retain the shape and a similar thing to the boot lid which improved things a lot but although we thought we had added a lot of shape it turned out that it was not enough to cure it totally, so don't be timid as you will be surprised by how much you need to add to the shape.

Have to say Nige I am really impressed with all the work you have done to the front arches will look really good when you have finished.
    Last edited by TINKA; 18-05-15 at 07:07 PM.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Just want to say before all Vipers get a bad name that not all the body shells were as distorted as this. As most people know the model had a chequered history falling into different hands with varying degrees of body quality. Cobretti Vipers were reckoned to be good at the time.
    Dek (Cobretti owner )

Hello Dek

I quite agree the vipers I have seen certainly have been finished well and I certainly would never want to get them a bad reputation my chassis could easily make a go-kart for an elephant, it is that strong. without measuring anything as yet it all looks fine and my wheel arches seem to meet in the correct place which was a possible issue that I was told about. except my flat boot has always been a thing i wanted to fix. Well said I do love my Viper.

Quote Originally Posted by spitfire1942 View Post
    Hey Nige

thanks

Rob.
    Hi Rob, you shouldn't need to zig zag anything, just make sure that the parts are well fibre glassed together. Prior to fitting the arches to the new wings, I ground the gel coat down to the fibreglass where the arch was to go. You shouldn't really bond onto a gel coat finish as it won't really have a good mechanical bond. I then offered up the arches & once happy with the fit, I screwed them into place. This gives me the datum points to put it all back in the same place when it's time to bond. I then ground down the underside of the arch to get it clean. Two strips of fibreglass matt & resin were then applied to the lip where I'd cut off the arch on the new panels. I then screwed the arch back in place. By being screwed in place, it will compress the new arch into the wet fibreglass "sandwich". Once fully cured I then ground down the joint & re applied another two layers of matt & resin over the joints. This effectively sandwiches the new arches between the glass underneath & on top, (I hope that makes sense). Once fully cured, grind it all down to shape & give it a light skim or two of filler & hey presto....no horrid arches.

As to the boot area, if I do decide to do anything with that it wouldn't be until after the Summer. I think I read somewhere that the rear deck was made like that to stop rain going into the cockpit, but I don't know how true that is.

Tinka, thanks for the compliments mate

cheers..Nige

Hi Dek, I'm not trying to say that the Viper is a bad car, far from it. As I said originally, to the eye, everything looks cock on, but it's not until you put a tape measure to it that you can see how far everything is really out. I can fully understand why they were deemed to be good quality & the road tests I've read all seem to substantiate that. The chassis is over engineered & the body is really thick & well moulded. The whole car feels very solid & this one I bought has been well built too (Thanks Tel ) . Mine is a Classic Replicas car, so is of the later generation Vipers, so if mine is dimensionally wrong, I would hazard a guess that all of the bodies would have the same inherent dimensional discrepancies, as I can't see any of the Viper manufacturers re jigging their moulds. Some of the other Cobra kits I've worked on over the years also have incorrect dimensions in places, so it's not just the Viper that's wrong

cheers..Nige

Quick update on this, the fibreglass was ground down to shape & a light skim of filler was applied. At this point the new arch was still in fibreglass finish, as I was concentrating on getting the main part of the wings correct prior to doing the arches. In this pic you can see roughly how the front grille will look, as I want it to resemble a 289 rather than the more common 427 style. I'll also be modifying the rear 1/4 panels to replicate the red car below, which will visually make it look more like a LeMans 289

The lower grille aperture will have an aluminium air intake similar to the LeMans cars.

The front will hopefully look like this once finished

Here's the aluminium lower grille that will protrude from the lower valance

Here's the new arch taking shape

This side still has a guide coat of satin black sprayed over the filler to allow me to see what's been rubbed & if there are any parts I may have missed. It'll also show up any low areas or scratches/pinholes that may need attention. At this point the both front wings are almost there, they just need a bit of fine fettling to get them ready for primer. Once happy with the wings I'll finish off the aperture around the side vents

Cheers...Nige
    Last edited by Outcast; 28-05-15 at 01:11 PM.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast