Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Wow fantastic work there I really love the look you are going for.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Hey Nige

Thanks for the Help and explaining, Its looking great and the stance is looking good with those arches. I'm curious does this mean that somewhere is the world the is another cobra with no arms. which kit did the arches come from.

thanks Rob

What amazes me is, like medical surgery, the chopping about is quite crude! The shaping and tweaking needs finesse, a good eye and experience. And as always the healing/finishing off takes time and patience!
    Incredible stuff Nige, look forward to seeing 'it'
    ps. what do you think of Blue/Black wheels if you are keeping that blue paintwork colour?

Thanks for the compliments guys, hi Rob, no other Cobras were harmed in the making of this car . there was a guy on egay called John, advertising repair panels for Cobras. I told him what I wanted & I had the wing skins within a week of ordering them, also they were a very good price. The actual arches are the original Viper arches cut down to size & bonded onto the new wings. I wanted them to have a flatter profile than the 427 arches as they were on the Viper, so I ground them down to shape, cut off the lips on the perimeter of the arch & then fitted a wired, which not only adds strength, but makes it more original looking.

Cheers..Nige

Hi Alan, the benefit of working with fibreglass is that it's do forgiving, if it's not right then just cut it & make it do what you want it to & then bond it all back together again,simples really . As you say, getting it all looking right and getting the stance correct is all important. It's just down to knowing how you want it to turn out & then trying to achieve that aim with the finished thing. I did spend a lot of time in the wee hours before falling asleep, thinking how best to do this and so far it's pretty much as I planned it, albeit with some minor changes as I went along.

Alan, you really must be inside my head, as I am going to paint the wheels satin or matt black. When I popped a tyre underneath it & then later looked at the photo of it, I realised that they would look good painted.

This photo inspired me to go black. I crudely photoshopped the red hub out & I thought it looked good.. Oh, the cream interior is also going black. I've got black leather seats, so I need to redo the dash, but you know about that anyway

The next question is, do I run it with AVON on the sidewalls of the tyre or Good Year Eagle, or just leave the tyres plain black, what do you guys think??

. Here's a pic of my Camaro where I put the AVON lettering on the tyres

Cheers...NIge
    Last edited by Outcast; 29-05-15 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    When we sorted out the boot deck shape on my mates car we made a lot of small cut's on the return where the boot seal sits and then made up a steel former to the correct shape we were after and actually glassed that in so that it would retain the shape and a similar thing to the boot lid which improved things a lot but although we thought we had added a lot of shape it turned out that it was not enough to cure it totally, so don't be timid as you will be surprised by how much you need to add to the shape.
    hi Martin, do you have any photos of the decklid area being done, as I'd be interested to see how it looks?

cheers..Nige
    ps do you still have that spanner for getting to the RV8 rear spark plugs that you mentioned?

Morning Nige!
    I didn't understand what was meant by the rear deck, but I can see now from your photo above.
    Will it matter that much?
    As far as putting AVON on the tyre walls, I can never make my mind up if it makes a car look 'blingy' or not.
    If your car will look like a convincing race car (which I think it will) then I think it'll probably look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
    hi Martin, do you have any photos of the decklid area being done, as I'd be interested to see how it looks?

cheers..Nige
    ps do you still have that spanner for getting to the RV8 rear spark plugs that you mentioned?

No sorry I don't, but I do remember we used the same profile as a sumo as one of the chaps doing it had one so we bent a bar to copy the curve from offside to nearside and created this and found the shape from front to back nearly sorted itself out with only a little work required. I will drop Iain a text and see if he has any pictures kicking about.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Hi Martin, if you could that would be great, I can then see if it's different to how I would do it
    cheers..Nige

I've been asked by a few people how the car's coming along so here's a quick update. I didn't want the side light plinths or the vents to the side of the grille opening, so I cut them out & re-fibreglassed it back smooth.

In this first picture you can see where I had to cut the grille aperture & modify it to make it elliptical

All 'glassed up

This is trial fitting the new 289 style front valance/grille opening, along with the aluminium lower oil cooler vent. The black painted areas will be cut out and a piece formed to make the brake duct vents. Also the earlier L539 side lights have been offered up to see how they look

cheers..Nige

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast