Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    The paint was then flatted down so that it could be cut back and polished and then the stripes were added, which will also be flatted and cut back later today

Well, the roof is nearly finished at last, now it's onto the next stage of its development

cheers...Nige

At last, it's all cut back and finished ready to fit. Just need to split the boot, fit the fuel filler and join it to the body and it's good to go

cheers...Nige

Great job and good post, you make it look so easy.

The final piece to the jigsaw arrived yesterday,

I'm actually going to leave it exactly as it is, rather than polish it, as I like the look of the "rawness" of it and think that it'll suit the rest of the car once it's finished

cheers...Nige

Whilst the roof was off and the interior out, I thought it might be a good idea to fit an aluminium rear bulkhead instead of the carpeted plastic one that was in there. I used the old one as a template and set too, cutting out the new one in aluminium. Numerous trial fits, trimming small pieces at a time made it a nice snug fit. once happy it was etch primed, primered and painted satin black. I also fitted a pair of 2" "Sabelt" harnesses, as I'm not a huge fan of the 3", as I find them uncomfortable on a long run. Next is to sort out the inner sill panels and then I can fit the interior back in again. The new aluminium dash is partially made and will be fitted in the next few weeks, but you know how it is, I really want to take the car out for a run with the new roof fiited.

The seats and carpet are only resting in place in this photo, so that I could see what it was going to look like

cheers...Nige

Have been following your posts with great interest, as the body work fabrication, preparation and finishing process takes me back to my bodyshop days, it's fascinating ! The amount of time/work that you've put in is impressive as is the finish !
    2006. Dave Brookes, Dax, De Dion Huddart 6.3, Tremec. Fiji Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Moto View Post
    Have been following your posts with great interest, as the body work fabrication, preparation and finishing process takes me back to my bodyshop days, it's fascinating ! The amount of time/work that you've put in is impressive as is the finish !

Thanks for the compliments, I finally managed to get the interior all back in again today, and I think it looks a lot better than it did before with the rear bulkhead carpeted. Just need to clean it all up now

Time to cut up the boot now methinks

Cheers...Nige

You have done some great work

Andy

Thanks Andy, here's the next installment.......

Well, I took the plunge today and cut the boot in half. All in all it went pretty good, and I managed to do it all in one day, so that's a bonus. I had bought some replica hinges, but found that they didn't fit too well where I wanted them to go. If they were too far apart, the curvature of the rear valance would have put a strain on them as the boot opened. I couldn't move them closer to the centre line as the number plate was in the way. I had a "eureka" moment and remembered there were some chrome Mini hinges on the other hardtop I have, so I used those instead. I marked out where I wanted them to go and drilled the holes in the bootlid. Once bolted on, I could then mark out the rear valance where the holes had to go.

Not period correct, but they do the job well.

I then put the Le mans hardtop on to see where I needed to cut the boot, with the cut line marked out with some lining tape. Trusty jigsaw in hand I made that cut.

No going back now.....

Two bootlids

The bottom half of the boot was then bolted to the valance

At some point in the future I'll probably re locate the boot handle and locking mechanism, but for the time being I fitted some 1/4 turn lockable fastners. These come with huge stainless backing washers which I didn't like as there's very little stainless on the car, so i cut out some smaller aluminium washer instead. Holes were drilled in the boot and these were then fitted. A pair of small brackets were made that mount to the bodywork and support the locking mounting pegs. Once closed it all sits down quite nicely.

Tomorrow I'll make some flanges that will support the inner skins of the bootlids and help them retain their curvature, whilst also giving me a small drip rail to stop water going in the boot when it rains.

I've still got to trim the cut edges to make them straight and to airbrush some paint to the cutline. I'm hoping to get away without having to paint the bootlid just yet, as I'd rather do that when I paint the rear end of the car, after sanding down the edges of the boot to get the gaps right, fitting the tail lights and reshaping the wheel arches.

cheers...Nige

I managed to pick up some 10mm U section aluminium to make the drip rail for the bootlid. Luckily it bent quite easily to the curvature of the bootlid. The bootlids aren't shut in these pics hence the gap being all over the place

I was going to use an "L" section of aluminium to mount it to the boot itself, but due to the uneveness of the inner skin it didn't sit at all right. So, I cut it into pieces, which were riveted to the U channel. Because it was riveted, I was able to slightly move it to the profile of the boot and get it top sit flush with the surface.

This was then riveted to the inner skin of the boot. Luckily, there was a approx a 5mm gap between the inner and outer skins, so it didn't affect the outer skin in any way.

The theory is, that it should direct rain water to run down the outside of the boot rubber seal, time will tell if this theory works I guess, but I don't see why it shouldn't.

I've just got to cut the excess off the thread on the locking part of the catch, and touch in the paintwork where it's marked slightly due to being cut with the jigsaw and it's good to go. Everything from the front wings backwards will be painted later once the rest of the mods are completed.

cheers...Nige

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast