Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Looking good, can't see why it won't do the trick..... (ha fond memories of lying in a boot space, lid closed with a torch whilst a buddy sprayed water over it to try and locate a leak. Why did that never work and yet rain always managed to get through ? ! LoL)
    2006. Dave Brookes, Dax, De Dion Huddart 6.3, Tremec. Fiji Blue.

Well, that didn't fit.....but it does now!!

Here's a couple of photos of the car with the Le Mans hardtop fitted. The weather wasn't too bad today so I took it out for its first run in quite a few weeks. Halfways into the trip, the heavens opened up and it tamped down with rain. Glad to report that there was no water coming in through the top of the screen and it would seem that the drip rail in the boot worked as well as it was bone dry Woo Hoo!!

Here's a short walk around video, sorry for the jerkiness (is that a word?) but it was a bit muddy.

Just click the image to load it.

I'm really quite pleased with the way this turned out,

Right, it's dashboard time next

cheers...Nige

Looks great.

Andy

Wow nige that's looking amazing

With Silverstone looming, I thought that now might be the right time to make some sidescreens for the Le Mans Viper, not least of all because my better half, Nadine, is coming along too. I didn't want her first long trip in the car to be a windswept affair that could put her off going anywhere else in it. Having looked at various types of sidescreens, I decided that I wanted something that kept the race car look, whilst still being functional.
    I started off with some 15 X 15 x15 x 1.5 mm section as the size is just right to sit against a door seal, whilst not protruding too far outside the profile of the roof.

A template was taken of the window aperture which would form the basis for all fo the cuts etc to be made

To enable the aluminium to bend it has to be annealed, otherwise it will just crack and lose its shape. I worked out where the bend was to be and scribed it with a permanent marker pen.

This was then heated up with a blowtorch

.......until the permanent marker had disappeared

I then made a simple jig that would fit the profile of the inside of the box section. This would help to stop it collapsing in on itself when the bends were being made. The aluminium was then gently formed around the jig, with plenty of brute force and ignorance, ...No no, I mean a rubber mallet. As it was being worked I cable tied the aluminium to the jig to hold it's form

Some laminate was then milled by a friend to make the sliders for the side window. The whole lot was then bolted to the screens using domed head bolts

The gap under the frame will be taken up with some 6mm foam seal. I've also added a velcro strap to the top of the door, which will attach to the inside of the roof to stop the frame from moving whislt driving. I just don't know if I'm going to have enough time to do the drivers side before Silverstone.

Nige

Nige,

I have come late to this thread - the title does not exactly draw you in!

Fantastic work, I trust you stand back occasionally and savour the fruits of your effort. Inspirational stuff - thank you for sharing.

Ian
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

Whilst waiting for parts to arrive for my 289 Le Mans Viper, so that I can revamp the cooling system, I thought I'd make a start on tidying up the engine bay.The inner arches were covered in some kind of heat insulation stuff, which was looking a bit tired, so I decided to bite the bullet and try and make some aluminium inner arches

The engine bay before I started.

I decided to leave the inner arches in situ and treat them as if they were "arch liners" as on a modern car. they're also structural so it made sense to leave them alone

The aluminium arches are just an attempt to make it look a little bit more original looking, though I'm limited as to how much I can do as the engine's in situ and I don't really want to be taking it out at this stage. It'll make the job an awful lot harder doing it this way, though that's offset by how much quicker I can do it

First thing was to make some cardboard templates

Because the car has a master cyinder and servo in the way, I've had to take that into account when trying to make this work.

Once happy with the fit of everything, the pattern was transfered to some 1.5 mm thick 1050 aluminium, which is nice to work with. Everything was "dry assembled first on the bench, all of the holes for the rivets were drilled and the whole lot held together with panel clamps. Once happy that it fitted together ok, it was then a case of fitting it all into the car like a giant aluminium jigsaw.

Well, that's two days of my life I'm not going to get back Tomorrow it's on with the other side which should be a whole lot easier as I don't have to contend with the servo etc. Once the arches are in, I can then turn my attention to detailing everything.

Nige

Nice work as ever Nige! That's a job I've got to do on my Viper and you've inspired me to make a start. Presumably you didn't bond the ali to inner wheel arches as you were going over the top of something already there. Could I ask if that wasn't the case what you would have done? I have nothing at present but am reluctant to bond something rigid onto the inner wheel arches in case it causes stress fractures through the paint.
    Cheers.
    Dek

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast