Thread: Gas ram setting

Gas ram setting

I just thought I'd post this on the forum. I was setting the bonnet gas rams tonight, and I thought about how I could set them both to the same force. I tried pushing them in one at a time and trying to compare the force required, whilst carefully letting the gas out to get them where I though they needed to be and about equal. Then I had a brainwave. I fetched a pair of bathroom scales. I placed a piece of wood on top to protect the surface of the scales and pushed the firs ram to about half it's length. The scales went to 16Kg. I then let the gas out until it was 15Kg. Then I got the other ram and let the gas out carefully until it gave me 15Kg force on the scales. Job done. They're both he same. Easy really when you put your mind to it. (probably everyone else has done this and I'm years behind, but never mind).

Took an engineer to think of that one! Spot on idea. I must admit I did mine by feel and took much air out of one. Hence that one got moved to the boot!
    Well done Lionel
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Or....... Fit one gas ram then let the gas out bit at a time till it just won't hold the bonnet open, then do the same with the other ram. When they are both fitted you'll have enough strength to keep the bonnet open but not too strong.

Yes I did mine the same way as Tony.

Great Idea!, but I did mine same as above