Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A one-off Cobra

Could be worse, you could have spent £250k on a Shelby kitcar as per the Ebay ad and still got that reaction

I used to put a couple of A4 printed sheets with info about the Dax on the screen, and leave the bonnet up. Most people I met were very pleasant. The only person I ever met who was a total ar$e was a guy who had restored and was showing a 70's Ford Cortina. It was immaculate. He initially asked me not to park the Dax next to his car as it wasn't real. I left it there anyway and it was hugely amusing to see his growing anger as most people were far more interested in what was under the Dax's bonnet than his correct washer bottle sticker.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    most people were far more interested in what was under the Dax's bonnet than his correct washer bottle sticker.
    You can ofcourse have, both, a great looking engine and a correct washer bottle sticker
    Drrrrrrrums please.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    You can ofcourse have, both, a great looking engine and a correct washer bottle sticker
    Drrrrrrrums please.
    You're slipping Kev, over two hours that took
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

.....very good, bait keenly gobbled!
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Shackleton View Post
    Yes spotted it the other night. Another heap of junk! If that was professionally built, by the designer, thenI an not surprised there's only one.

Rog
    Yeah such a piece of crap I bought it ! some 5 months later.

I have massive respect for the amount of work that must have gone into producing the Legendary car, and there bravery to try to attempt to create a brand, shame it didn't pay off.

Must be nice to own a one off with some heritage anyway.

Truth be told, "Just a kit-car" is now a vastly outdated an under educated statement, we should feel sorry for these people.

I was amused by the fact that most new cars now use a GM LS engine, as do the original AC Cars still being built in Germany today, so actually most probably own an authentic ford engine car or a almost exact copy of the on-going legend that is the 289 or 427 AC Cobra.

Lets face it most that come up on eBay are old kits that probably do use a sierra or cortina basis, or are not correctly registered unless they are newer variations of our cars.

The price tag is the clue, if its worth it it will be 30-60K even for a so called "Replica"

I for one am very proud to own a car built by myself, its not the best example. But I built it!

Alan.
    AK Gen II delivery date Oct '15
    IVA pass Dec '18.
    On the road Jan '19
    GM LQ4 364ci, LS9 cam, Omex 710.
    Tremec T56 Terminator.

As I said previously, I like it.

Andy

Since I originally posted I’ve learnt some about my car.

From the top of this thread, so the guy who was selling it was a motor home trader near Chesterfield and was going to say what ever he thought would get the punters trough the door and started off asking e£26,500 which was a lot more than I paid for it.

It is true that it was a one off build by an engineering company. Marsh Engineering in Ashbourne, Derbs run by Philip and Stewart Marsh. They never actually traded as “Legendary Sports cars” as was their intention. The choice of a 5.0 EFi Ford Mustang crate engine and T5 gearbox was because that is what AC was using themselves back in 1993. They wanted to try and compete directly against AC . The car was shown at the NEC in 1994 at a cost of £5000 for the stand.
    The demise of AC in 1994 going into receivership and the selling off their remaining stock at knock down prices also put the Marsh brothers out of business. With no orders and after 18 months of development costs funds were pretty low and they folded.
    They had previously built two Jaguar based Dax’s for themselves before this venture. So knew quite a lot about Cobras. They built two chassis though they only built the one car. Some of their tooling was later bought by Gardner Douglass.

They asked Manchester University for assistance in designing the chassis. They were helped by Denzil Brunning a Homologation engineer (https://uk.linkedin.com/in/denzil-brunning-452688b4) who has a long automotive career and is well known in motoring circles. Gerry Hawkridge owner of Hawk cars has told me he also knew Denzil Brunning.

They car was 100% built from new parts using Ford Scorpio steering column and switch gear. Scorpio LSD and running gear which is mounted to bespoke cast alloy uprights designed and supplied by Manchester University.

So what category does my car fall into? kit car ? Not that I really care J I couldn’t have built it to the same spec for the money I paid for it .
    http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/sho...ra-001/cat/500

I like it, especially the wide front arches. Very Viperish! . Call it a recreation if you want. That seems to cover most bases. The important thing is to enjoy it.
    Dek

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12