Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A one-off Cobra

A one-off Cobra

Anyone ever heard of a Legendary? Looks nice.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-COBRA-5...item419995556e
    Andy

Dax De Dion 350 sbc

"IT IS A FAR BETTER BUILT ITEM THAN SO CALLED KIT CARS"

Hope Roger doesn't see this!

Dave A

Yes spotted it the other night. Another heap of junk! If that was professionally built, by the designer, thenI an not surprised there's only one.

Rog
    AK 427 SC now sold. New ride is a 57 Chevy Bel Air Big Block 454

Nice looking body (apart from the bonnet scoop) correct arch lips etc. looks like fabricated suspension using ford hubs and brakes.

20 years ago back in the mid 90s it would have probably compared very favourably. This was pre SVA so quality of finished cars probably varied quite a bit.

Times move on though
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

It does slightly surprise me how the "kit cars are knocked together with sellotape" view still pervades - and how something built by an engineering or car related company somehow magically makes it better than something built by an individual who probably works for an engineering company as their day job. On Sunday at a show loads of people were asking questions (mine was the only kit car there) and lots of people shuffled by and said to each other, "ah just a kit car, probably an old pinto". A great many people don't realise how much things have moved on, as Lloyd says, their mental frame of reference for a kit car is probably an old dutton phaeton. After an hour or so I got a piece of paper and wrote "NOT A REAL COBRA" and put it on the windscreen, one guy who was about to take a photo read it, put his camera away and walked off!

I think you should re-write that note as 'Cobra Replica, built by me, over several years, faster than anything under £100k'!
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I went to a local school summer fair on Saturday and there was a modest display of local cars from a very recently formed new car club in our village. There was a competition where you had to put the fastest 3 cars in order of 0-60 times. I won (of course) with the correct answer of:

1st - Ultima GTR
    2nd - my cobra
    3rd - Maserati Quattroporte

It was fascinating hanging around the cars listening to people talking through their choices "that cobra is only a kit car, none of them are very fast you know, its all show" etc etc

and of course "that lotus might look fast but they are more for handling" (stood next to the Ultima)

All cars are kits,assembled from assorted bits and pieces. TVRs where assembled in a factory, also Lotus and both have the habit of falling apart. Then again that's all BL cars.

Andy

Never any shortage of petrol-head bullshitters, whether behind a keyboard or spouting their own special brand of diarrhea in public!
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by hifihedgehog View Post
    I went to a local school summer fair on Saturday and there was a modest display of local cars from a very recently formed new car club in our village. There was a competition where you had to put the fastest 3 cars in order of 0-60 times. I won (of course) with the correct answer of:

1st - Ultima GTR
    2nd - my cobra
    3rd - Maserati Quattroporte

It was fascinating hanging around the cars listening to people talking through their choices "that cobra is only a kit car, none of them are very fast you know, its all show" etc etc

and of course "that lotus might look fast but they are more for handling" (stood next to the Ultima)
    My favourite response to the age old question "Is it a real one?" is...... "No, it's imaginary".

It has however nearly got me into a fight once or twice.
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast