Lower Spax shocks

I have always felt the my car rides too high at the front and wish to adjust my Spax coilovers. As you can see from the picture we could be talking 2 or 3" before the tyre (my nice new AVONs) sit nicely within the wheel arch. Is there anything technical that I need to know before attempting this? will it have a dramatic effect on the way the car handles etc...?

Thank you

IMG_1650.JPG
    shocks.JPG
    Dax MK4, RV8

Better to try, and fail....than to fail to try.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkev38 View Post
    I have always felt the my car rides too high at the front and wish to adjust my Spax coilovers. As you can see from the picture we could be talking 2 or 3" before the tyre (my nice new AVONs) sit nicely within the wheel arch. Is there anything technical that I need to know before attempting this? will it have a dramatic effect on the way the car handles etc...?

Thank you
    IMG_1650.JPG
    shocks.JPG
    It doesn't look like you have a huge amount of distance that you can wind the lower spring collars down on your shocks. I doubt you'll achieve 2-3" drop but in my personal opinion from the photos is that I don't think you need to go that low. It's worth keeping a reasonable distance between the oil cooler cowling and the ground so you have some clearance over speed bumps. IIRC mines at about 4" above the deck (but I am quite paranoid about grounding etc). Same is also true for your engine sump. It won't be detrimental to the handling to lower the front a bit. Just remember that you'll have less vertical travel to the underside of the wheel arch so you may need to stiffen you shocks if they are currently set quite soft.

Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

interesting... you suggest winding the lower collar down (the one on the right of the picture), my logic would be to compress the spring in order to lower the car not make it longer?
    Dax MK4, RV8

Better to try, and fail....than to fail to try.

If you compress the spring it will raise the car if you think about it by making the spring effectivly stronger.

Also to consider that by altering the spring length you will be changing the effective corner weights which in turn could impact handling.
    Its this adjustment that is used if you set up your suspension on a four point scales system.
    To maintain the optimum suspension setting, but to in effect lower your car, you may want to consider changing the coil springs completely for ones that are shorter but which have the same spring tension.
    Chris Lutman -427SC Coupe / MG Tojeiro "LOY" replica