perspex side screens

Last job on the rebuild is fitting side screens on the old Dax. The hood looks fantastic and is a really good fit - however, the side screens I got from Dax are too big so I was thinking of binning the velcro / metal covered side screens with home made perspex ones. I was thinking of getting them to hinge off the windscreen but that would mean replacing the wind wings every time I wanted to fit the side screens. Has anyone done this before?

Cheers
    James
    James G
    Purple Dax / Ford 260/4 speed toploader all in need of TLC and cash but the dreams are there. Dream on - car now blue, Ford 302 and Tremec T5, 4 years later....

Just done something similar to mine - Lexan screens attached using the wind wing hinges/mounts - car is a 25 year old pilgrim mk2.

I made them to replace the metal frame sidescreens that drop into ferrules in the door - they always crack the door tops eventually and the design of my hood/screen/doors meant they never fitted/sealed properly against the hood. There is another thread on here where someone made a pair with a metal frame framed up, hinged on the screen, plus supporting gas struts to the dashboard - but I just wanted a pair that I would only use with the hood up. So mine are 3mm lexan, no support frame, unless you count the rubber edge seals - so probably cant be used with the hood but I havent tested this yet..

Accepting that hooding up a cobra is never going to be that quick a job, I found that just undoing 2 screws per side (I leave the hinge attached to the screen) isn't really that big a deal. Although if you find a quick release way of attaching them please let me know! I've also found that I don't bother putting the wind wings back on - they don't actually make any difference at all in the cockpit at speed.

I made a cardboard template (which is handy as it takes account of the flex as you pull the sidescreen shut). Mine are interference fit, so pulling them in pushes the screen against the hood, and also pinches the bottom seal against the door top holding it in place at speed. Tested mine in the heaviest rain that i've ever seen at motorway speeds, one side when it gets very wet loses the 'grip' against the door top and pops open due to air pressure which is annoying. Fix for this is a minor bit of fettling though - just needs to drop down a mm or two.

To create a door pull - I put a small bolt through the sidecreen/lexan and attached a small bit of leather.

Alex

Hi James have a search on the forum, it has been covered on several occassions previously with some great ideas.
    I've currently gone with original style ones with frames and sliding perspex windows.
    I don't have a hood but the screens keep a lot of wind off on a long run.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

thanks gents,
    I've just purchased some wind wing fittings from finishline - http://www.finishlineaccessories.com...-hardware.aspx and I think I'll get some polycarbonate with some foam / rubber sealant and take it from there....
    There's a few pitfalls looking at what people have already done - getting it to seal, closing it from inside, catching on the door etc. but hey this is cobra building!
    The Dax hood looks good but a good driver could get a double decker bus through the hood bow and screen......

James
    James G
    Purple Dax / Ford 260/4 speed toploader all in need of TLC and cash but the dreams are there. Dream on - car now blue, Ford 302 and Tremec T5, 4 years later....

Re pulling the sidescreen in - I put a small bolt/washers etc with a chrome head on it through the side screen at the bottom and attached a piece of leather/trim. As I say no reason that interference fit wont be enough to hold it in place but you could also put a longer sidescreen strap on and then use a pop stud/hood fix thingy and attach the strap to the door card.

I should add using the screens like this will mean the top of your door gets scuffed quicker than the conventional sidescreens.

Getting it to seal - i bought lots of samples of seals off ebay and played with them till I got the right combination. Putting a seal on the hood side as well as the sidescreen itself worked - I got no leaks in torrential irish rain from the side screens. I do however get comically large amounts of water coming in from the top of the windscreen... but thats a different problem!!

Alex