Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodwood

Not Goodwood but at the Birkett at Silverstone on the Grand Prix circuit

https://youtu.be/sw4SyR5soE8

Andy,

Thank you for taking the trouble to post the links, only criticism is that they are FAR TOO short. The car looks fantastic and sounds even better, it must have been interesting on the damp track.

Take care,
    Ian
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

Quote Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
    Andy,

Thank you for taking the trouble to post the links, only criticism is that they are FAR TOO short. The car looks fantastic and sounds even better, it must have been interesting on the damp track.

Take care,
    Ian
    HI Ian,
    I will try to make them longer in future. Looking to get a camera mounted on the car in future as well to get some on track footage

Interesting is one way of describing how it was on the track!!

Cheng managed to get the best out of it though and set the fastest time of the day

Andy,

On board cameras can be both entertaining (at least they can when I am driving) and very helpful to review and improve performance - especially when they are linked to GPS data. My son used a free App. on his smart phone, the last time we were at Knockhill, that gives lap times, split times, max speed and both lat. & long. G forces (amongst other data). Depending on the phone s/w & camera the data can be used to provide a graphical overlay on the video, unfortunately the free app does not give this option.

It would be worth deciding how far you want to take it before you start to make sure that you get the right combination of camera and phone (or other GPS device) to give you the desired results. Make sure that you post up the videos when you get set up, good luck

Regards,
    Ian

Hi Ian,
    Thanks for the advise.
    What I am looking at is a Gopro Hero 4, then to use my iPhone with an App called Harry's Lap Timer. This app will give me all of the data in terms of speed split times, laps limes etc. What I like about Harry's Lap Timer app is that they are working with Gopro to make this easily combine together.
    I also have a Dual Skypro 160 GPS Receiver which I can connect to my iPhone to improve the GPS accuracy and not solely replying on the phone GPS.

I know from reading the forums for Harry's Lap timer, it can easily be used with Dashware to make good looking videos.

That's my thoughts anyway, please feel free to comment

The only thing I am unsure about it the mic of the Gopro and how it will cope with the wind, or will I need a remote mic placed out of the wind?

Kind rgds
    Andy.

Andy,

Can't fault your selection. I have a cheaper Chinese "Go Pro" and it lacks the functionality of the proper Go Pro although the video quality is good. Harry's Lap Timer is excellent, a number of local guys who I share track experiences with use it with excellent results. We were trying, wherever possible, to use free software so the app used would not link with Dashware to do the overlays. Having now seen what you can do for "free" it is certainly worth paying for the items you have listed if you are going to use them regularly.

I would certainly recommend a separate mic, the Go Pro may have a better quality but it will certainly be affected by the wind noise. Even with the "sealed" outer case the wind noise still drowns out the noise of the engine and other sounds. If the camera is mounted on the scuttle the wind noise can be reduced but the field of view can be a bit limited. If our camera had the facility for a remote mic it would definitely be fitted and used.

Look forward to seeing your "quality!" videos.

Regards,
    Ian

Hi Ian,
    Good to hear that the set up I am looking at is a good one. I will certainly get an external mic and experiment with different position to cut the wind noise. I was thinking down in the footwell?? Will experiment anyway.
    I have most parts of the set up, just the go pro (the expensive bit) to go. I did purchase the upgraded version of Harry's lap timer as it seemed to be a small price given all the functions it can do.
    Looking forward to getting it all set up and experimenting. I am hoping though that the lap times and splits will help with my overall lap times !!

Will keep you updated.
    Kind rgds
    Andy

Gents

Sounds like a good article for the mag?

cheers
    Kiel and Duncan (dad and the lad errr young man now)

AHP Crendon Chassis No 1
    Ford FE 434, dual quad, Toploader total old school all the way
    https://www.crendonreplicas.com/
    http://www.absolutehorsepower.co.uk/

Always happy to add my two peneth from the research I have done, but sounds like a good idea and useful to a lot of people if we we use the experience from those that have already been there and done it

Andy,

One option would be to insert the mic in the end of the sidepipe - guaranteed to get a good engine sound then!

The overlays on the videos are great for impressing the friends and relatives (especially when you edit out the mistakes & link the good sections together) but the real benefit, as you have identified, is from the splits and lap times. You should also be able to compare corner entry and exit speeds which will probably be the main area for improvement. As a suggestion send Cheng out with the camera & GPS running then compare and emulate - what could be easier!!

Good luck with it.

Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast