Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    Quite a lot of mainstream cars have electric handbrakes now Myles. I still think you can't have a hydraulic one though but I'm not sure.
    As long as it is entirely separate from the normal hydraulic brake system then it is fine

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jim View Post
    As long as it is entirely separate from the normal hydraulic brake system then it is fine

Jim

Didn't know that!
    BIG TONE

Mercedes SL owner, definitely NOT a kitcar owner like you lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Chimeara View Post
    Another thought is what if the battery goes flat or if you park up and apply the handbrake and then take the battery isolator key out. Will the handbrake stay on or does it need constant power to hold the cables.

I am not knocking the idea, actually its quite the opposite but I am just thinking of the possible problems before maybe implementing the idea myself.
    Anthony, it seems to be a spindle servo, so I suppose it needs power to operate both going "on" & "off". If they are widely used these days, surely the reliability will be OK? Still, the more gadgets you have, the more can get broken, and, more importantly, the heavier the car will be.

Best Regards, Theo
    Not for the faint hearted, not for the shy...

Here are the simple instructions that come with the kit. Hopefully should answer most of your questions and concerns.

Cheers.

Paul.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Best anti speeding device - a rear view mirror with a police car in it.
    A pedestrian - someone who thought there was still a couple of gallons in the tank.
    AK Chassis and body collected 12.12.14

Nice bit of kit, I like it. As long as you make the access hatches to work on it when the bodies on it looks good.

Not sure what the issue is with Ak handbrake set ups, mine works fine. I spent a bit of time getting the route clamped with a reasonable bend radius and also setting the pad levers up when I assembled the calipers.

I suppose another benefit of using the lexus auto box is that you tend to use the park position!
    Yet another reason for TonyD to espouse the virtues of ls400 transplants!!

Quote Originally Posted by alunwill View Post
    Nice bit of kit, I like it. As long as you make the access hatches to work on it when the bodies on it looks good.

Not sure what the issue is with Ak handbrake set ups, mine works fine. I spent a bit of time getting the route clamped with a reasonable bend radius and also setting the pad levers up when I assembled the calipers.

I suppose another benefit of using the lexus auto box is that you tend to use the park position!
    Yet another reason for TonyD to espouse the virtues of ls400 transplants!!

Who me??????

Must resist,.......... must resist............

Cheers,

Tony
    Supply by blagging, engineering by bodge......

I've just ordered one of these too

Having spoke to them the unit conforms to IVA as the requirement is

"An electrically operated parking brake switch must be protected from inadvertent use. As an alternative, with the ignition off, the switch must be capable of applying the brake, but must not be capable of releasing the brake."

Which is exactly how the switch system on this kit works.

basically loss of power it just doesn't move so should it break you would need to remove the clevis or unbolt the unit from the chassis to release the pressure. No big deal depending on where it is mounted.

The only thing to do now is find a nice looking switch to use it with as they said "it comes with a switch but you'd probably want to replace it with a nicer one"
    AK GenII, collected 11th September 2015, passed IVA March 22nd 2017, On the road Friday 28th April 2017.
    LS6 468.4 bhp, 440 ft/lbs on the Dyno
    Canems ECU

Blog: http://markscobra.blogspot.co.uk

Why would you want one ! I hate mine on the tin top.

Rog

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Shackleton View Post
    Why would you want one ! I hate mine on the tin top.

Rog
    I love mine in the mondeo. For me it just provides a modern upgrade to a classic looking car which is exactly what I wanted to achieve. It probably comes from working in technology.
    AK GenII, collected 11th September 2015, passed IVA March 22nd 2017, On the road Friday 28th April 2017.
    LS6 468.4 bhp, 440 ft/lbs on the Dyno
    Canems ECU

Blog: http://markscobra.blogspot.co.uk

I've just acquired a Hiwin linear actuator off Ebay for next to nothing (no PCB control though, which can be purchased separately I hope). My intention is to make a bracket and retro fit it somehow to my completed AK.

I'm convinced the issue with my set up it getting the load through the handle mechanism and cables into the shoes, hopefully this should help !

I'll let you know how I progress (slowly I'm sure).
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast