Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Classic LeMans advice on weather!

Hi all, It is time to take my cobra on a longer run as to date I have been a dry road driver in the UK only. I have been invited to join a group of cars running down to Classic Le Mans but I have no roof at all (just a tonneau). So advice on the best approach, gear to take (and not to take) would be a great help. I will not be camping so I have a little extra room than I could have had. The car came with a light weight outdoor cover, is it worth taking that or is that extra 'stuff' for little benefit. Any 'tricks of the trade' and experience would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Angus

Absolute Horsepower AK, 383 Chevy stroker.

Hi Angus

I've had my cob since 1987 and it has never had a roof or tanneau and have have been doing Leman and the Classic for most years.

I have a cockpit cover for when the car is parked up, and this has always kept it dry. I do keep a big umbrella in the foot well if the weather look really bad, but have only had to use this at a a few sets of lights when held up.
    We don't use the auto routes at all and stick to the back roads, this means we don't get the horrible driving rain and spray you get on motorways.
    The way I have looked at it is that it's GRP, it ain't going to rust, carpets can be taken out and dried, and a bit of water never hurt anyone.
    The only thing that is a defo is get a cap and a set of goggles/glasses, I use the new trendy safety glasses the likes of screwfix sell, the DeWalt or similar, they now look like expensive trendy ski glasses for about a tenner, because when you get a drop of rain or similar on your forehead on in you eye it's like being shot by a sniper.

If you want to protect just the seats if stopping for a quick break and can't be bothered with the cover a simple bin liner slips over the back of the seat and base real quick, simples.

Stop worrying and just do it.

Cheers
    David

Haha, thanks David, I think I will be 'just doin' it', the issue I have is that I have the 'pretty' version and not original version (next one will be original maybe no carpets even) so it is wall to wall carpet which is stuck in and leather dash and everything else! Also going with another group so route may not be my choice. Love the bin bag idea for the seats btw. With regard to clothing, do you get particulalry wet while moving even in quite heavy rain or is it only when you stop at lights/traffic. I have the safety glasses already, so it sounds like I am pretty good to go!
    Angus

Quote Originally Posted by Bigblock View Post
    Hi Angus

I've had my cob since 1987 and it has never had a roof or tanneau and have have been doing Leman and the Classic for most years.

I have a cockpit cover for when the car is parked up, and this has always kept it dry. I do keep a big umbrella in the foot well if the weather look really bad, but have only had to use this at a a few sets of lights when held up.
    We don't use the auto routes at all and stick to the back roads, this means we don't get the horrible driving rain and spray you get on motorways.
    The way I have looked at it is that it's GRP, it ain't going to rust, carpets can be taken out and dried, and a bit of water never hurt anyone.
    The only thing that is a defo is get a cap and a set of goggles/glasses, I use the new trendy safety glasses the likes of screwfix sell, the DeWalt or similar, they now look like expensive trendy ski glasses for about a tenner, because when you get a drop of rain or similar on your forehead on in you eye it's like being shot by a sniper.

If you want to protect just the seats if stopping for a quick break and can't be bothered with the cover a simple bin liner slips over the back of the seat and base real quick, simples.

Stop worrying and just do it.

Cheers
    David
    btw, was your cockpit cover made to measure to fit your tonneau studs, or is it just a generic one you can buy?
    Angus

Angus,

I just wear an old Barbour jacket, beanie hat or peaked chav hat to keep the rain bullets off my forehead plus dewalt glasses - jobs a good un, my carpets get wet.....they stay in the foot wells until the end of the trip and air-dry naturally. If you get stuck in a traffic jam you will get soaked so a brolly is a good idea (and gives other road users a good giggle). On average mine has been drenched twice a year for 15 years....and it's fine.

Jim

2 inch of water in my foot wells last time what a larf !

Rog

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Shackleton View Post
    2 inch of water in my foot wells last time what a larf !

Rog
    plenty of ways to dry your cloths
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AK427 (Gen 11) 5.7 Chev 350. 375HP(Huddart)Getrag Gearbox,LSD
    Passed IVA 08/07/11
    Colour. Rover Trophy Blue
    1st drove it 15th July 2011
    Others cars
    Triumph Stag 1975 2998cc
    Vauxhall Astra SRI

Ah yes, the infamous"Le-mans last day fire" Brings back memories of drunken guys in transits and drink driving
    BIG TONE

Mercedes SL owner, definitely NOT a kitcar owner like you lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Broxy View Post
    btw, was your cockpit cover made to measure to fit your tonneau studs, or is it just a generic one you can buy?
    Hi Angus

No expensive stuff for me, halfords cockpit cover, 6 tea towel hangers, the small sucker type, £3 for 10 from flea bay, these stick on the car with a quick lick and don't damage paint at all, few more holes with reinforcing rings in the cover and it holds down even in the strongest winds.

I wear a football bench jacket in the mornings when cold but for most times it's an USA flight jacket, MA 2 I think, the nylon one.
    I woul avoid a leather flight jacket with a fur collar, a mate had one and got as wet as me in his, it weighed a ton and the wet fur collar made him miserable, it never dried out in the 5 days we were there.
    If it's that bad you get a bin liner, cut a hole for your head, stick it thru and arms out from underneath when driving, dry and toastie.

David

Tonneau for when its parked to keep out any rain - Barbour or similar with a towel across your lap when driving - hat and goggles - your choice but recommended as rain spots hitting you on the face are not nice. Lap towel as a back up to wipe down the seats if any rain gets past the tonneau !
    Chris Lutman -427SC Coupe / MG Tojeiro "LOY" replica

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast