Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Gggrrr! Time for a dash-cam?

Why are there so many idiots about? And why are they targeting me or more precisely my cars? Having just paid to have a dent taken out of the door of my tin top because some tw.t with door protectors on his car left a nice crease in mine a cyclist runs into my wing today! He was obviously at fault but wasn't hurt fortunately although he bounced off the bonnet! Dent there also. Turns out he was Polish and spoke no English when I asked for his details. Funny, I was recently watching a progam of traffic accidents caught by dash cams a lot of them concerning cyclists and chuckling. I must get one now, not least to replay it for compensatory value after I've paid what I suspect is going to be a hefty bill.
    What features should I consider? Nearly bought a GoPro in Lanzarote but didn't know enough about them to know if it was what I wanted and was good value.
    Ah well could have been worse-could have been in the Cobra.
    Dek

I've had a few cyclists run into my car, normally while I'm at a T junction and they are on the pavement. Almost impossible to get any compensation or cash of any kind out of them, a few have even tried to get money out of me or my insurance company! They should be registered, pay some form of road fund licence and be insured in my opinion

The last cyclist to pop my wing mirror whilst i was stationary at some traffic lights got a surprise when i caught up with him.

He refused to give any details and claimed it was my fault?? Whilst i was stood still at a red light.... He was darting along predicting the green light and didt judge a gap very well.

However his bike was very expensive and it fitted in my boot of my car nicely, and after it was sold on ebay the damage cost was covered and i even had enought for a drink.

What would have happened if it had been me knocking him of his bike whilst he was at the lights?

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    I've had a few cyclists run into my car, normally while I'm at a T junction and they are on the pavement. Almost impossible to get any compensation or cash of any kind out of them, a few have even tried to get money out of me or my insurance company! They should be registered, pay some form of road fund licence and be insured in my opinion
    It was exactly that situation Tony. Cyclist on the pavement. And to think they are considering changing the law so it matches Scotland, I think, so that the motorist is automatically assumed to be the guilty party in any collision with a cyclist!
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by tommy-boy View Post
    The last cyclist to pop my wing mirror whilst i was stationary at some traffic lights got a surprise when i caught up with him.

He refused to give any details and claimed it was my fault?? Whilst i was stood still at a red light.... He was darting along predicting the green light and didt judge a gap very well.

However his bike was very expensive and it fitted in my boot of my car nicely, and after it was sold on ebay the damage cost was covered and i even had enought for a drink.

What would have happened if it had been me knocking him of his bike whilst he was at the lights?
    Nice one! Didn't want to put a muddy bike with a bent front wheel in my boot though.
    Dek

I'd get done by the police for theft then lose my job

Correct me if im wrong, as i was asking a cabie about his. He said that if you notify the insurance you have fitted one, then it must be used all the time. If its not running when you have a bump, they will wriggle out of paying up.
    Use one but not to reduce insurance costs!

I used to cycle a lot (semi pro) till some twat ran a red and took me out when I was 17. Wouldnt want to get on a bike nowadays.
    Nice move taking his bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    What features should I consider? Nearly bought a GoPro in Lanzarote but didn't know enough about them to know if it was what I wanted and was good value.
    Ah well could have been worse-could have been in the Cobra.
    Dek
    A former work colleague of mine wanted to protect his pride-and-joy, (Alpina 3-series). He went for a discrete, wired-in camera system so he leave the cameras on whilst the car was parked up and the cameras would not be a target for theft themselves, like a GoPro left on a dashboard might be. It had two cameras, one out from the headlining at the back and one near the rear view mirror at the front. It also captured video from inside the car too so pretty much all round 360deg coverage. He made some pretty good videos whilst out driving and also left it on occasionally whilst his car was serviced to see what the dealership technicians had, or had not done to his car.
    Another friend reported a car driven erratically up the M1 to the police. The driver was stopped further up the motorway and was way over the Drink-Drive limit. My friend provided the police with the camera footage from his in-car camera. Usefully, this had a GPS function and so could plot time of day, location and speed along with the video.

Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

And it gets worse! I have a protected no claims bonus policy and decided to phone them in case I decided to make a claim for the damage which seemed to increase the cleaner the car was and closer I looked. I was told that my ncb would not be affected but the incident would be added to area statistics and could trigger an increase in premium along with everyone else in my area. So I thought the chances of that were slim and my premium wouldn't be affected, at least for the time being. Coincidently my policy is due for renewal next month. I was a bit surprised to get a 'revised premium quote' in the post almost immediately which was about £100 more than last year. ( the previous annual increase was about £20). When I phoned them to enquire they said it was because of the reported incident and the possibility of the cyclist making a personal injury claim! I said as he wasn't injured and we didn't exchange any details it was highly unlikely. Anyway it apparently is standard practice in the insurance industry and would stay on file for 9 months. So then I said would I get the additional money refunded if a claim wasn't made and was told possibly. How much? " we can't say". So the ncb isn't really protected then? "oh yes it is, you've still got your full 9 years". So not knowing if and how much of this additional loading will come off makes it impossible to decide the economics of paying myself or making a claim. And I was told at renewal if I go to a different company for a cheaper quote I must declare the accident as its on file. So, what to do? Whatever I do I'm screwed! I'd better have a drink, take a tablet and lay down.
    Dek
    Last edited by Dek; 10-03-16 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Didn't completely auto save

Grabbing Bstrds !!! looking to screw you in advance and then hang on to the money if it comes to nothing. Take your business elsewhere. Who was it BTW ? name and shame them for this.

I saw a camera for ten quid at the Classic and restoration show at the weekend but with the way my journeys are (lots of short-ish jorneys throughout the day) I thought I'd be forever taking it on and off the windscreen or charging it up so I didn't bother.....so far this week I have almost been hit twice by F***wits taking the racing line thru roundabouts and not seeing me (legally) on their offside. I am interested in Russ' comments about a covert hard-wired system as with the mileage I do in the day job I won't be able to avoid every one-eyed to$$er every single time and I'm bound to get hit sooner or later. rant over for now.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast