Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New kit ordering?

Afternoon all,

A little bit of a late question, but I'm heading up to GD tommorrow morning to talk to Andy and put my order in for a Jag based kit.

Any words of wisdom before I do so? are there any vital bits of info that I need to have figured out prior to going up?

Cheers

Greg

...how much you want to spend and how much you want to haggle for a few discounted 'extras'.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by austin21 View Post
    Afternoon all,

A little bit of a late question, but I'm heading up to GD tommorrow morning to talk to Andy and put my order in for a Jag based kit.

Any words of wisdom before I do so? are there any vital bits of info that I need to have figured out prior to going up?

Cheers

Greg
    Yes..... have you checked all the kits on offer from all the suppliers?
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Greg,

Nothing vital at this stage, however before weld hits steel you'll need to let Andy know which engine & gearbox you intend to use (for mounts).

He'll go over all the options with you so don't sweat it

Cheers

Jim

Also what exhausts are you going for, side or under slung and if an option do you want shortened rear axles and suspension so you can have dished rear wheels? What colour gel do you want and do you want a stripe in it as this will save a lot of money with not needing to have to get it painted. One or two roll bars ? Cant think of anything else off hand.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    Yes..... have you checked all the kits on offer from all the suppliers?
    Kind of 😉 but have wanted a GD for what seems like a stupidly long time so it's confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jim View Post
    Greg,

Nothing vital at this stage, however before weld hits steel you'll need to let Andy know which engine & gearbox you intend to use (for mounts).

He'll go over all the options with you so don't sweat it

Cheers

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    Also what exhausts are you going for, side or under slung and if an option do you want shortened rear axles and suspension so you can have dished rear wheels? What colour gel do you want and do you want a stripe in it as this will save a lot of money with not needing to have to get it painted. One or two roll bars ? Cant think of anything else off hand.
    Cheers jim and tinka,

I've probably got most of those decided bar the colour and shortened rear axles.

Engine is already underway. I've got a 1973 350 chevy block that I'm building to a 383.
    Gearbox wise ime leaning towards a jag getrag 265 due to costs. I've just got to sort the rear different ratios to get sensible rpms at 70mph.

It's definitely going to be side exhausts as for the roll hopes I'm torn between a single or twin.

Regarding the rear wheel dish. Anyone any ideas as to how much dish the shortened axles give you?

Thanks all
    Greg

I have seen some GD's with the axles shortened and I personally don't like the look of them without it done. Don't think Andy likes doing it as it does very slightly compromise the suspension as the wishbones are a few inches shorter. Normally there is only one choice for how much they remove as they end up the same length as the old E type so nothing too drastic. As for the look just look at any AK, Dax or Crendon and compare the look with the majority of GD's out there. HTH
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Shortened shafts are from an S Type (old one obviously), 7cm shorter according to the wheeler dealers GD rebuild......must be gospel

Jim

Welcome Greg, I've gone for the S type drive shafts on my GD build, I didn't like the idea of having them shortened when there is a very easy option. I've recently received the wheels, so happy with the deep dish looks

Chassis option

Shame you're going for the 350. I could have saved you a lot of cash and a long wait for the chassis. I have a LS based chassis and engine for sale right now. See parts for sale forum.
    Have a good day and hope Andy takes you out for a quick spin.
    Cheers Tim

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51694

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast