Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Perhaps needs pit lifters and a big chrome air cleaner to put it on the "top shelf". Already got deep dish rear wheels and body colour looks good to me.
    Good luck.
    Nuf Said

Has anyone ever sold a car to someone in Europe? I ask because I have a chap in France who wants to buy my GD, ALARM BELLS are ringing, but it does sound legit as I have been contacted by the English (living in France) mechanic who will convert it to LHD. Any how I have spoken to my bank and they assure me that if funds are transferred between banks, once the funds are in my account they are none reversible. Anyone have contrary views/advice?

Where in France ?

I have been trying to get mine registered for 2 years so this guy may be able to give some advice. Do you have his contact details you could PM me ? I will ring him for a chat and may have a better view on his legitimacy .

Cheers

Paul

silly question perhaps - is he French - or English living in France
    Due the issues and problems for French to get Replica cars registered - there is a growing trend to buy UK registered cars to use in France - but then travel back to UK to maintain the MOT - or sometimes not bother at all !
    Assuming you get the cash/transfer all ok - Just make sure the V5 transfer is done - the part you need to send away detailing change of ownership. This to avoid any slight comeback if Les Flics still see you as the registered owner.
    Chris Lutman -427SC Coupe / MG Tojeiro "LOY" replica

A friend of mine owns a house in France. He keeps a car out there on English plates but left hand drive, so when he takes his van with his tools to do building work on his property he has a car to use and not a van.
    Z4 E89 sDrive30i M Sport Highline

Hi all
    I'm the English man in France.
    I live near to Toulouse and do classic restorations and RHD to LHD convertions
    on all sorts of cars.
    I also help with the papers.

Paul

Hi Paul, and welcome.
    thanks for dropping in.
    I'm sure you could be useful to quite a few ex pats?
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Quote Originally Posted by strange p View Post
    Hi all
    I'm the English man in France.
    I live near to Toulouse and do classic restorations and RHD to LHD convertions
    on all sorts of cars.
    I also help with the papers.

Paul
    Private message sent

Quote Originally Posted by MacGD016 View Post
    Has anyone ever sold a car to someone in Europe? I ask because I have a chap in France who wants to buy my GD, ALARM BELLS are ringing, but it does sound legit as I have been contacted by the English (living in France) mechanic who will convert it to LHD. Any how I have spoken to my bank and they assure me that if funds are transferred between banks, once the funds are in my account they are none reversible. Anyone have contrary views/advice?
    If it's a CHAPS transfer (standard transfers for mortgage transactions) then it isn't reversible. "Faster payment" type can be returned to sender. Same with BACS I think

Well my GD has finally gone off on a transporter to its new home in France to be converted to LHD by Paul "the English man in France!"

I am delighted that the GD is going to a true enthusiast rather than to a dealer but I have to say that, considering the frequent comments here that dealers are depriving private buyers of cobras at sensible prices, I didn't get a flood of enquiries from well informed private cash buyers. There were plenty of tyre kickers and stupid offers that were a great deal less than dealers were offering but I guess you have to expect that. There were some who understood the value of the GD and were keen to buy but didn't have the funds readily available at the time or as in one case didn't have approval from that higher authority! Dealers though, with the exception of one who was masquerading as a private buyer, I thought were very honest and upfront and made very reasonable offers so I can see why so many cobras do get snapped up by them.

In the end though a very nice chap in France made me an offer, acted very openly and professionally, quickly paid a substantial deposit and bought himself a bargain. I'm happy the GD has gone to a good home and will be enjoyed by an enthusiast which with these cars is the main reason for having one after all.

So I guess the lesson for private buyers is, do your homework, get your funds together and act quickly. From what I can see there are some lovely cobras out there to suit all budgets so don't complain that the dealers get there first, get in touch with the owner straight away, be open and honest and be realistic if you make an offer.

Although I haven't been a great contributor to this site I have received some valuable knowledge over the years for which I thank everyone. Now that my GD has gone I shouldn't think I will frequent these forums very often so I wish everyone well and take my leave.

Mac

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast