Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cobra Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Thanks corn and Cob !
    Very good!
    Robin.

No longer hard-topped, but still relatively soft-centred...

New owner now from last week,
    Just purchased Dax de-dion LS2 with t56. first reg 2010
    est.value 35K
    Inquired of a number of insurance companies
    1000 miles/year, owner driver only
    2together and Bloors both came out the same at £370 or thereabouts (KGM)
    A1 didn't want to know (car was too new)
    Hagerty wanted £730
    the other one didn't want to quote saying I had no experience in driving fast cars and to come back next year.
    This left me with the two at £370, when it came to the details both wanted Thatchum imobilizers 1 or 2 and alarm to be fitted to insure it for 35K
    I had no option but to lower the value to 30K as there was only the battery cut off key and no imobilizer and went with Bloors at £316 with the lower value.
    Has anyone else out there had this problem? is it possible to fit a Thatchum to a cobra?
    I look forward to seeing your comments.

Didn't try A plan then Terry? Congratulations on getting your cobra at last!!!
    BIG TONE

Mercedes SL owner, definitely NOT a kitcar owner like you lot!

You may need a Certificate to say Thatcham fitted but not hard to get one fitted. 1000 miles,I manage more and don't get to use it much especially as I'm doing 80 plus hours a week working. Have fun with your Dax.

Andy

Nice car Terrance congrats. 1000 miles is too low in my opinion , especially as its a new toy .

Congratulations on you recent purchase but 1000 miles ! ! ! I did 1,500 miles in the first month when I got my car on the road.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Nice Martin , Fuel in first month must have cost you more than the car ! 4000 minimum per yr for me

Harrisons point regarding the value of your car is an interesting one. If you 'estimate' it to be worth up to £30K then there seems to be little to no problem in getting a competitive quote. Pitch the value higher (e.g. £35K+) and all of a sudden the insurance premium - as well as demands on security specs etc - appears to rocket.

However, given the way that our cars can fluctuate in value (depending on time of year; market trends; possibly even the strength of the £) who decides what the value is on the day? For example, Sumos seem to have increased in value by anything up to £10K in the past 12 months. I can understand why an owner may wish to protect their perceived value with an 'Agreed Value' clause, but at what cost - and does it make any difference if pitching in at less than £30K?

It strikes me as being nothing more than a lottery (but with more small print).
    Robin.

No longer hard-topped, but still relatively soft-centred...

It does seem that 30K is the limit for easier quotes. With the cost of building going up hopefully the insurance companies notice and quote accordingly. Never heard of a Cobra being stolen. Just make sure they put correct name/age of car on documents

Andy.

Interesting point, mainstream insurance is "reasonable market value" (aka a bunfight to prove value) or "agreed value".....what happens if you put down "current value" as £30K (as per this example - specifically NOT agreed value) - does that then automatically go to "market value" which would be £35K (if you can provide reasonable evidence etc etc)

Anyone work close enough to the underwriters to understand the nuances?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast