Change to single rear shocks

Hi all.Anybody converted to single shocks each side at the rear. I would like to know what you did about rear spring rates.I have read some posts that suggested just doubling up on the poundage of one original spring.Anybody do this or what? I have a Ram
    Thanks,
    John

I've done this conversion to my Viper and fitted a pair 400 lb springs with Dampertech shocks. Whilst it rides quite well having gone through the various settings on the shocks to try and get the optimum from the set up, it still feels just a tad too soft to me with a passenger and a full tank of fuel. I've since bought a pair of 450 lb springs to try on it. hth

Nige

Nige.Thanks for the reply.It looks like possibly three times might be the way to go.
    Thanks.John

There is no reason why it should not be a single spring of exactly twice the rating of the existing ones unless you don't like the ride as it is now or the existing springs are not rated accurately. You can't really compare rates from another chassis without knowing the angles and dimensions. As far as I remember the RAM rears are 150 lb so 300 lb would be a good starting point.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Hi,The problem is the car is in bits and I have never driven it.I might split the difference and see what happens.Thanks for the reply.
    John

I suppose if I were doing that conversion I'd go with 350 lb; a little firmer than it is now.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Hi That is what I was thinking.Are you a Kiwi? I have just,well 2 years got back from 22 years on Aucklands North Shore.Still living in a tent?or has Key actually pulled finger and helped the population? Great country.Left as we have a Grandson in UK
    All the best,
    John

Not a Kiwi but my mum is and I've been here 14 years now.

Housing is still a big issue around Auckland, median house price getting on for $1m now but other parts of the country much more restrained
    Cheers

Myles D-W

House prices are ridiculous.Sold our place for 1.3 million dollars nearly 3 years ago,now worth nearer 2 . We had a fabulous old Kauri Grand villa.Resited and in a bad state when we bought it.Took 20 years to finish........