Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Gary,
    very clear, we can conclude that oil drainage is OK and can not be the reason of the issues you have. Back to the drawing board.
    Frank

Hi Gary
    I had a similar problem with my V12, before you shout out I know its not a V8, It passed the compression test on all cylinders so I thought the piston rings and bores must be OK, so I replaced all the valve guide seals, and fitted a new upgraded crankcase ventilation system. but non of this cured the problem of oil fouled plugs on one bank.
    Only when I removed the pistons I found the oil control rings on one bank all gummed up and stuck in the pistons, and a couple on the other bank. I replaced all the rings, re-honed the bores and while I was at it replaced all the big end bearings. This cured the problem. Basically I think your oil control rings may be the culprit, amazingly this did not show up on the compression test.
    I did all this with the engine still in the car, just had to raise it a bit to get the exhaust manifolds off.
    good luck
    Peter

Well latest update is that i've not done anything since this last one.

Engine in bits (heads, manifold, rockers, pushrods etc, etc) currently on workbench in garage, everything removed that i need to in order to take out engine ready for a rebuild/refresh. Hopefully ready for next years Silverstone classic or even Le Mans Classic, will have to wait and see.

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

I started figuring out where the wiring loom needs to go, at the weekend. Also ordered the bits for bulkhead & footwell coverings.

Industrial wiring is not a career in my future..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Gary, I seem to remember a similar problem could in the end be traced back to the plate normally mounted inside the rocker cover to stop spatters of oil being sucked out by the crank ventilation pipe connected to your inlet manifold. Maybe worth checking if it is or should be mounted....?
    BR, Theo
    Last edited by Wetpool; 05-11-17 at 07:51 PM. Reason: wrongly adressed

Hi Theo,

Do you mean the baffle plates on the Rocker covers? if so, then both rocker/valve cover have baffle plates installed, so i hope that area is coverd

Thanks for the input - every bit counts

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Well folks, if anyone is still around and even cares as to what the current state of play is, then i have an update.......

Since the last post the car has still been sat in the corner of the garage and used as a dumping ground for typical garage rubbish (e.g. cardboard boxes, sportsdirect bags, old blankets and carpets etc). Bonnet has been off and top end engine components have been lying on top of the worktops ready for me to actually get round to doing something with it all.

Over the past couple of weeks or so, i've finally arranged to have it sorted out once and for all.

I loaded up all the parts off of the worktops and other locations in the garage, labelled those that didn't have a label already and packaged them up and placed them all into the boot of the cobra (with the exception of the side pipes, collectors and headers - each set of which was placed into their own cardboard box).

On Wednesday afternoon last week - Martin from MAC1 transport arrived is this impressive bit of kit

into which the cobra, all the parts in the boot and both the sidepipe boxes where loaded and then they where all whisked away to the local scrap yard.

Aha! - got you, nah! not really.
    I'd arranged for Martin to transport the whole lot over to John Sleath Race Cars (some of you may of heard of him ) over in Doncaster for him to sort it out once and for all

Martin called later on Wednesday afternoon to confirm arrival of car with John.

I spoke with John to confirm issues etc and he said leave with him, he'll remove engine and report back.

So yesterday I had an update report from John, basically the engine components are a rather hotch-potch mismatch of components:

1. CAM not matching the CAM card i have
    2. CAM has scratch marks on it
    3. CAM not correct for specs, it's one you'd use in a campervan - so a replacement better suited one is going in
    4. Valve springs not correct - being replaced
    4a. Roller Rockers are fine as are push rods
    5. Crank is fine but bearings are completely knackered and down to the copper - he was surprised Crank hadn't been mangled based on bearing state - so New bearings
    5a. Conrods - no mention of them, so assume they are ok - phew!
    6. Cylinder walls - super mirror shiny (not supposed to be), very badly glazed, so that will need sorting.
    7. Piston rings, need replacing, but oil control rings are funny size and will need ordering from States
    8. Oil pan not ideal, would suggest a replacement at some point but current will suffice till funds allow
    9. Intake manifold, again not perfect (single plane, so loosing some low end torque) but again will work - see how it goes after rebuild and can replace if needed - will allow 6500RPM limit with it though if needed

And that is it for now

Knowing John and his passion with all things V8 and more - it should be awesome once completed.

rgds
    Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images

One thing that was ascertained is that i do actually have a 383ci Chevy V8 - lol. So it looks like the original builders at least got that part correct.

Gary

Glad you've got a light at the end of the tunnel - a crap feeling knowing you've got a broken cobra.

Its not an engine built by Fastco by any chance is it?

lol - was wondering if someone would mention that name - hehe

From the docs i have, it's supposed to be a Speed 'o' motive engine built in 2005, and imported into UK either then or 2006 when it was sold on ebay and bought by our cobs original owner. So as far as i'm aware it's not a Fastco 'build'

Gary

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast