Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thoughts on an Automatic Cobra?

I have a Pilgrim Sumo mk2 with a Rover V8 (manual).

What are the implications of making it Auto? Would this affect the retail value? I'm just thinking as the Rover manual gearbox is horrendous.

The auto will bring the most out of the V8 growl and make it much easier to drive. Oh, and the auto would be the Lexus 4L (1UZFE) V8 and gearbox

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that the LT77 box which is the usual box that is connected to a Rover engine is not a bad box, if yours is no good you could look at sorting it out. What is the actual issue? Is it the gear change, the ratios, or something else?

I don't think that the MKII was really designed with a V8 in mind, people have of course fitted them but with a 4 litre you maybe pushing the design even further, will the engine actually fit?

Finally and this is just my opinion I think that an auto is not going to be worth as much as a manual, of course this only matters if you ever try to sell the car.
    I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Rules for buying 'Go Faster' parts:-

If it's fast and cheap then it's not good.
    If it's cheap and good then it's not fast.
    If it's good and fast then it's not cheap!

It is the LT77, it's just horrid finding gears and a long throw when changing. It's a guess when pulling away... 1st or 3rd. It's also the fact that the RV8 has let me down so many times I just don't trust the engine to get me anywhere.

I know the mk2 is not ment for the V8 hence part if the reason for the auto box and smoother gear change.

Fair enough but the sloppy change is possibly down to the bushes on the remote gear change, the long throw could be improved by shortening the gear lever.

Anyway, good luck with the engine swap.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with either the RV8 or the LT77 gearbox, so your problems are almost certainly due to poor maintenance over a prolonged period. That being the case, you're probably going to have the same problems with any engine or gearbox and the Lexus is far more complex with more to go wrong.
    These cars need constant care to keep them running well and if they don't get it, you're going to get problems.

Paul

what Paul said.

Also MkII.....MkIIa was just a better version of the MkI which was designed for Pinto and V6 engines.

MkIIb WAS designed for the RV8 after Pilgrim's customers demanded the V8 rumble - i have a brochure from the 90s to prove it. We can debate how good the design actually was, personally I doubt it would withstand a souped up RV8...but in standard form there should be no major problems.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Yep - accepting that its a old tech gearbox so will never shift as fast as a modern car - 3rd vote for bushes if you have shift problems on an lt77, maybe look at changing the oil in it too the right stuff can make a difference. Ashcrofts are the chaps for reconditioning lt77.

As per your other thread - the granada based mk2 will take a retrofit rv8 (with a bit of effort) as it was also a factory option for the mk2 at the time (i've got the manuals for both) But even a stock rv8 (150bhp) is not really a good option for the mk2 cortina chassis.

The tina rear end will not take the power from a lexus engine (280bhp). At all.

alex

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AlexB74 View Post

The tina rear end will not take the power from a lexus engine (280bhp). At all.

alex

Alex
    I was just about to google the BHP of a Lexus lump, 280 BHP in a standard MKII chassis, I'd like to watch that. (From a distance!)
    Last edited by Sidecarbod; 25-08-16 at 01:00 PM.

If its a MkIIb it should not have a solid axle cortina rear end, it should have an old-style Granada rear end with a seperate diff and IRS.
    So, should easily handle a standard RV8.
    More than 200bhp....dunno.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidecarbod View Post
    I was just about to google the BHP of a Lexus lump, 280 BHP in a standard MKII chassis, I'd like to watch that. (From a distance!)
    Yep - a rear end designed by uncle den to take a maximum (and optimistic) 130 lb/ft (2.3 v6) might not do too well with 300 lb/ft through it..

Got chatting to a guy who'd put a 1ufze in his landcruiser ... Bloody great engines - 6 bolt mains the lot - the drifting kids swear by them, can be boosted well past 600+bhp with no internal problems, can rev to 9000 rpm, and even then they are non interference engines so if the cam belt snaps nothing bad happens... Think you can bolt them up to a manual toyota supra gearbox too.

Alex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast