Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Engine cut-out / loss of power

Hi All,

Yesterday I took the Cobra for a quick spin after I filled up with fuel. I was doing about 60 / 65 on a dual carriageway when the engine completely cut out. The clutch went very stiff, as did the brakes. Fortunately I was going downhill so I managed to coast to safety.

The engine wouldn't restart initially, but once I got down to 10mph, I managed to restart it (on the third attempt), the fan-belt squealed at first but was then ok. I got back home without further issues.

The car has never missed a beat before - it's a 2001 AK, 5.8 litre V8 Ford engine.

I am not a technical person, I am a driver, but any help / comments / thoughts on what might have caused the engine to cut out will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Andy

Heavy clutch/brakes is due to no servo assist when engine not running. Check dizzy connections and try moving wiring when engine running , obviously when not moving and parked.

Andy

Could be a few things but start with spark and fuel supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimeara View Post
    Could be a few things but start with spark and fuel supply.
    True, but to add a weird possibility (which typically are never the problem...LOL) I wonder if your alternator bearings seized up. I can't imagine that stopping your engine while cruising, but it can sure keep an engine from starting. Might explain why the fan belt squealed (could be merely loose though) and the time delay before the restart (something had to cool down).

Never saw a water pump do that, but why not take off the fan belt and see if everything rotates freely and without noise. If you find the belt already loose, it's probably not worth while going any further in that direction.

Intermittent electrical connections would be my best guess. Either some part of the ignition system or possibly connections to an electric fuel pump, if you have one.

If the engine ran fine after you got it restarted, bad fuel is probably not a concern. Water in the fuel would continue to act up.

Sometimes a bad ignition coil works fine until it heats up. A break in the winding then opens up enough that you lose spark. Wait a while and you get it back, although the wait is often closer to an hour and you didn't appear to wait very long before it caught.

Internet diagnosis on your problem is really a guess. Too many different things that can cause this.

Worst thing is, you'll not trust the car to go for a drive until you find out what's wrong. I'd suggest have someone look at it. Other options are to keep driving it until it does this again (and have a passenger who can test things, like spark, at that point), or drive it until it fails completely (which I don't recommend) where it will be a lot easier to troubleshoot.

Best of luck.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Quote Originally Posted by corn plaster View Post
    Heavy clutch/brakes is due to no servo assist when engine not running. Check dizzy connections and try moving wiring when engine running , obviously when not moving and parked.

Andy

Unless there is a remote servo on the clutch then the engine alone stopping would not have any effect on the clutch
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

As the clutch went heavy when engine cut out it sounds like a servo assist clutch. Could be wrong but sounds like one.

Andy

Could be a few things, but a faulty coil can fail temporarily when hot, then start working again as it cools.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Bit of a stab in the dark but:-
    As you had just fueled it (not much air in the tank) is your fuel tank vent working as if not could have been vacuum in the tank which would also explain why it did not restart straight away.

Simon

Guys, thank you all ever so much for the friendly advice and help - very much appreciated. As I'm not a technical person, I'll ask a friend to have a look at some of the suggestions made on here and hope it solves the problem.

Cheers,

Andy

PS, might also be worth mentioning that the Cobra did get VERY wet last time I used it, which was a month ago. It's the one and only time I have used the car in the wet. It has been garaged since then, but maybe there could have been some water ingress?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast