Sumo 15 x 9" Rear Wheels

HI all,
    For 15" wheel on a sumo Mk3 Granada/Scorpio running gear, manual says 8.5" rear wheel.
    Does anyone know if a 9" wheel will fit for IVA compliance and if so what offset?

Thanks

Lee

strongly recommend you speak to Pilgrim directly before committing money.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Lee,

I have fitted 17" wheels to my Mk3 Sumo, front are 7.5" / 17" and rear are 9" / 17". The rears are tight both as regards clearance to the chassis (to the rear of the trailing arm outer suspension bolt) and the inner wing on the inside and to the body externally (see picture). I would suspect that higher profile tyres, on 15" rims, would bulge considerably further than the 45% profile on the 17" rim.

The car was taken for the IVA test on the donor wheels, with two new tyres to replace the ones exhibiting excessive wear, because I did not trust my calculations enough to buy & fit the Team Dynamics wheels I had chosen. The calculations indicated that the wheels and tyres (Vredestein 245/45 ZR17 95Y Ultrac Sessanta on rear) would pass the IVA test but it was difficult to estimate the amount of tyre protrusion and whether it would meet the requirements of Section 37. I have not tried to replicate the IVA measurements with the new wheels and tyres but it looks to be within the limits set in Section 37.

I have attached some measurements that I made when I was calculating the wheel & tyre sizes and the required offset. As I am sure you are aware the measurements may be different on your car as tolerances do vary so I stress that you should check everything on your build and, as Kev says above, consult Pilgrim.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

Thanks both for replies and your diagram Ian. Heard back from Pilgrim who suspect like you say Ian that the 9" would require a large profile tyre and unlikely to get through IVA.
    I have read threads praising Bob Lacey and Vintage Wheels US and I like the look of his VN427 but in 15" only comes as 7", 8" or 9" After speaking to him he has supplied loads of 17" AK's and Dax but not the sumo, I'm quite set on the 15" period look. Now that 9" not an option, I could go for 7" on the rear (is this too much of a compromise). I've read an old thread by Perky suggesting that Front: 15x7 +15 offset and 215/60/15 tyre and Rear 15x7 -10 offset - 245/60/15 tyre. Can anyone confirm these are correct, any pictures?
    Thanks.

so, if you are going for 15" you will be shelling out for Avons or the Pirellis. Either way its a £1k or so.
    The 245 Avon ought to fit on a sumo rear. the question is whether that tyre will fit on a 8 or 8.5" wheel.
    I had a 235 on mine (a Good year that you cant get now with the right speed rating) and that was a good fit. 245s will require excellent alignment when you fit the body else you risk rubbing on the tyre one side or the other.

I think 225 Avons come in 2 different profiles, either should be fine for the front. You'll be trimming the body round the skirt to avoid rubbing anyway whichever tyre you fit

Check out the new v-rated Pirellis, I think they come in slightly different sizes to the avons.

The alternative is that you roll up your sleeves, cut off the rear wheel arches and glass in another inch or so width. Then you can have your 9" wheels on the rear. It seems like a scary job, but grp is easy (if a little messy) to deal with.
    I taught myself how to make a few grp things - have a look in my gallery.
    Last edited by KevinW; 29-09-16 at 07:32 PM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.