Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks DGO - thats interesting - I found my manuals (both granny mk2 and the rv8 version) and they do show a bearing in the pics, but dont refer to it.

1 Top of column is rock solid, bottom waves around - not sure there is a bottom bearing inside the bulkhead - that wikihow bearing fix on the bulkhead would solve it regardless of any other bearing I reckon.
    2 Yep spot on triangular UJoint bit was loose! now tightened
    3 Track rods/ball joints all seem ok
    5/7 Front end/tie bars is all polybushed - havent checked the rack ones though
    6 Havent checked the bearings - they felt ok last time I gave the wheels a shake, wouldn't hurt to tighten them a bit anyway.
    8 have no clue where that plastic bush is - will have a proper look.

May well be a collection of all the above causing things, but have seen (with someone else on the steering wheel) the amount the shaft can rotate without it turning the wheels its got to be the major contributor..

Alex

The plastic bush sits in the nearside end of the steering rack under where the bellow is secured to the rack. The way to test to see if it's a problem is to turn the steering wheel so that the nearside wheel is turned left, then grab the rack that you can feel inside the nearside bellow and see if you can lift it up and down. The bushes can collapse which lets the rack loose inside!

The other thing that is often not good on earlier Pilgrims is the U clip that is part way down the column. The bracket that holds that on is not strong - which lets the whole column move around

New shiny rack and I now have zero slack!

steering is now best it's ever been, maybe the old rack was never in great Nick. Bit of a struggle to find someone local who could track it though. Most of the locals could only put in make and model (newish cars) into the computer... Literally couldn't 'just make the bloody light go green'.

Found someone with old kit.

Thanks for the help chaps.

Alex

Good news. Where did you buy the rack from in the end?

Hi,

http://www.kellybraysteering.co.uk/p...acks_12938.cfm

Nice chap, said they are not ford stamped, but are better than OEM, its made in Italy by the original OEM suppliers to Ford who improved on the components/design. He flogs loads to the kit car industry.

Alex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12