Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handbrake again

Handbrake again

(On the assumption that I still have the car before this handbrake project gets finished as it currently for sale) I'd like to share my plans to retro-fit an electric handbrake to an AK (without removing the body).

My plan is to make a completely self-contained unit that actuates the two cables, then find a space to mount it underneath the car. The space that's looking favourite at the moment is the gap between the diff and the fuel tank with the cables pushed vertically.

I've sourced a linear actuator from Ebay for sub 30 quid and I've been quoted about £100 for the PCB to control it, but the first job is to get the actuator fitted.

I've attached my initial design for the self contained bracket to hold the cables and the actuator. After that's assembled I'll need to design a Y shaped plate to connect the end of the actuator to the two cables.

The space I have marked to fix this to the car is a flat, horizontal area of fibreglass between the tank and the diff which is part of the boot floor about 50mm wide as long as the fuel tank is wide. There is no metal box section in this area, but as the unit is designed to be self contained the fix to body only needs to take the weight of the assembly, not the force of the actuator.

Can someone measure the thickness of the handbrake cables please, the dimension missing from my drawing is the width of the slot to slide the cable in.

Comments please?

Please don't comment on "why are you trying to do this" "what's wrong with the current handbrake" "the electronic handbrake on my tintop is crap" and all that stuff. Lets assume the decision to fit this has been made at board level and all we need to do is decide the best way to fit it.

Maybe I'll even write it up for Snake Torque if there's any interest????
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

Hi Craig,

I hope the design can be applied to any XJS hand break system ? Listing of parts and sources would be a great time saver for anyone looking at taking up the project . Interesting project and it would be great for a wright up article .

Handbrake inner cable is 3.02 mm and slot is 3.35 mm
    hope this helps
    Ian

Probably no cheaper than your quote for the control circuit but have a look at this;

http://www.e-motioninc.com/12V_Actua...r_p/mc102h.htm

Certainly cheaper than the Hollins conversion kit.
    AK Gen II - Delivery May '15

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    Hi Craig,

I hope the design can be applied to any XJS hand break system ? Listing of parts and sources would be a great time saver for anyone looking at taking up the project . Interesting project and it would be great for a wright up article .
    My design should fit the XJ40 cables on my Gen II. Using just the two cables, one from each rear wheel and ditching the single cable from the XJS handle to the AK hinge mechanism (and the hinge mechanism).

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalTrucker View Post
    Handbrake inner cable is 3.02 mm and slot is 3.35 mm
    hope this helps
    Ian
    Thanks for that Ian.

Sent the drawings off today to get all the plates made up. Fingers crossed I can get them welded up this weekend and assemble the actuator, do a temporary fit on the cables and draw up the Y bracket to join it all together.

Picked up the steel plates and did a basic "dry" assembly today, all looks good so far. Hopefully I get the welder out tomorrow, but its difficult to get out of the house unnoticed with a four week old son looking for me too !

http://s102.photobucket.com/user/cra...tml?sort=3&o=1

http://s102.photobucket.com/user/cra...tml?sort=3&o=0

Total cost so far £45
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

Quote Originally Posted by cperry View Post
    Picked up the steel plates and did a basic "dry" assembly today, all looks good so far. Hopefully I get the welder out tomorrow, but its difficult to get out of the house unnoticed with a four week old son looking for me too !

http://s102.photobucket.com/user/cra...tml?sort=3&o=1

http://s102.photobucket.com/user/cra...tml?sort=3&o=0

Total cost so far £45
    Don't know if it's me but that link doesn't work for me.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

That's odd, try pasting it into your address bar. I've just checked them on my phone and they both work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast