Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Starting in cold weather

Took the car out this morning for a quick spin as nice and sunny and dry.

I haven't driven it for about 3 weeks, she was a bit sluggish to start.

It's been very cold here recently, and I did the normal 3 pumps on the gas before hitting the start button. Loads of power in the battery, starter motor seemed powerful but it took maybe a couple or tries and holding starter button down for maybe 10 to 15 seconds before she fired up.

Is this normal??

Cheers guys
    Dax Tojeiro - Mike Huddart 383ci stroker, dark blue with wimbledon white stripes, retro racing decals.

Do you have an electric petrol pump, if so wait a few seconds for it to fill the carb. if you have a mechanic pump it will act as you describe as it has to fill the line, then the float chamber before it will fire up.
    Frank Dowsett. BLOKE.

Do you have a choke or not. If not it probably will crank over more when very cold. The use of a choke has been discussed on here before. I have one, starts easy in cold weather, many remove it.

Andy

Hi. Dont think I have a choke as the bloke I bought it off said it didnt. When I turn power to the ignition there is a whirring noise, the rev counter goes to 6 then back to 0, then I can start the car. Could this be the electric pump?

When I bought it, the guy was very clear that when cold, pump the gas two or three times before starting.

Will endeavour to find out next time it goes back to the garage!
    Dax Tojeiro - Mike Huddart 383ci stroker, dark blue with wimbledon white stripes, retro racing decals.

He was very clear that it was a very well looked after car before you bought it,i think you may disagree ,so it may not start as easy when the weather is very cold. Mine used to be hard to start in cold weather so I put the choke back on.

How's the oil consumption? Fixed?

Andy

Slow to start, is not a problem and is quite normal, every engine will be built and set up differently, and so will start differently too, cold weather will usually mean slower starting, and often less power from the battery to start it with, some fuels will vary slightly in octane, methanol content ect, modern fuels will also go "stale" and be less volatile in a relatively short time when exposed to air as in the carburettor
    Mine has no choke, and has a manual pump, so can be very slow to fire up if its not been used for a while, I don't have a problem with this as I like to leave it turning over till the oil pressure comes up anyway, then with a few pumps, it always starts.
    Sounds like the "whirring" noise is your electric fuel pump, the blip in the tacho is also normal, our cars have personalities, and like us don't like being kicked out of bed on a cold morning! lol, Enjoy

Mine is similar Paul when temperature near freezing . Just needs more pumps of gas before pushing start in my case .

when cold ( which is all the time in Scotland) we give about six pumps and starts no problem, do not keep starter running just give another couple of pumps and try again. every engine is different, you will find out what is best buy trial and error.

Cheers
    Shuggie

You kit car guys do crack me up with your quaint starting procedures, I just put the key in and turn it, car starts first time every time!

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    You kit car guys do crack me up with your quaint starting procedures, I just put the key in and turn it, car starts first time every time!
    Well goody for you. We all bow in your general direction
    MKIII Pilgrim Sumo. 3.5 Litre Rover V8 Towing an Eriba Puck Caravan

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast