Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithA View Post
    I was bought a book for Christmas "Scotland The Best" by Peter Irvine 12th edition 2016 lots of good information where to eat places to visit.....etc etc only just getting into it but seems good information.

I intend to tour Scotland this year on the bike with my Brother and Cousin, then later in the year in the Cobra with my better half
    Just ordered a copy

Thank you

Hi Neil,
    Will throw my initial thoughts in. If you'require starting galashiels look to come over the border at carters bar. Heading in galashiels direction you could stop of at the Jim Clark room in duns. From there I would travel along the roads of the tweed valley which is lovely taking you westward into Lanarkshire where you could travel up the Clyde Valley toward new lanark which is worth a visit. From here you could head north west over Erskine bridge up a82 mentioned before, this takes you up the side of Loch lomond and go up through fort william (Ben nevis) you can stop off at the commando memorial at spean bridge. You could pop over to Glenfinnan while going up this way all the way up to Arisaig/Mallaig. You need to travel through glencoe in the cobra while going North up this way. Heading up the side of Loch Ness toward Inverness you could turn off and go over to Skype. I did a car rally in the cobra started Inverness over to Skye via Applecross and the Bealach na ba (pass of the cattle) great event as the weather was brilliant going around Skye and over all the passes. Oops forgot about the dukes pass which kind of accessible from this route a bit earlier aberfoyle/Callander way- you can take in the three lochs in this area. Heading back toward Inverness you could go up to Ullapool which just haven't done yet but I think Jeremy Clarkson drove a new mustang toward and it looked fab. You might as well go to John of groats and stay in Thurso. You can see the Orkneys from here and get pics under the sign. Travel back down the east coast which is a lovely coastal run on a good day. Heading back toward Inverness there loads of lovely places to see such as Strathpeffer. Heading south from Inverness on a9 you could take in aviemore, Blair Atholl, Pitlochry down to Perth. Across to St Andrews from here maybe? You could then head towards Edinburgh and pick up the a71 and head towards Ayrshire where you could head down the coast past culzean castle and then switch over to go throughome the Galloway forrest toward the mull of galloway and then rest and head home from there. How long did you say two weeks? Heehee.
    Regards john

Hi John,

Thank you this is great, I will start plotting out a route.

Many thanks for all the advise on this thread.

Cheers Neil

Oops. I was typing this in last night on the tablet and the predictive text seems to have taken over in places. Skype should be Skye! The A71 was mentioned because it is a great driving road(In the top 10 on the worlds greatest driving roads website believe it or not). It certainly used to be when I used it for hammering about - haven't been on it for some time. Forgot to say when approaching the Skye bridge you can stop off at Eilean Donan castle. Also when coming down the east coast from John O'Groats you could stop off at Arbroath for some smokies. Hope you can make out what I've meant in the rest of my post. Cant edit it now.
    John.

[QUOTE=cobrascim;558346]Hi Neil,
    Will throw my initial thoughts in. If you'require starting galashiels look to come over the border at carters bar. Heading in galashiels direction you could stop of at the Jim Clark room in duns. From there I would travel along the roads of the tweed valley which is lovely taking you westward into Lanarkshire where you could travel up the Clyde Valley toward new lanark which is worth a visit. From here you could head north west over Erskine bridge up a82 mentioned before, this takes you up the side of Loch lomond and go up through fort william (Ben nevis) you can stop off at the commando memorial at spean bridge. You could pop over to Glenfinnan while going up this way all the way up to Arisaig/Mallaig. You need to travel through glencoe in the cobra while going North up this way. Heading up the side of Loch Ness toward Inverness you could turn off and go over to Skype. I did a car rally in the cobra started Inverness over to Skye via Applecross and the Bealach na ba (pass of the cattle) great event as the weather was brilliant going around Skye and over all the passes. Oops forgot about the dukes pass which kind of accessible from this route a bit earlier aberfoyle/Callander way
    Southern Roadcraft built in the North!!!
    With a proper Ford V8 fitted.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123