Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Driving cobra holiday Scotland

Hi,

We want to take a trip driving around Scotland, any must see roads or places of interest? And any nice hotel recommendations greatefully received.

Many thanks Neil
    Build Started 24/02/13 IVA'd 16/10/2014 registration completed 26/11/2014. First drive 27/11/2014

Hi Neil

I can recommend the road into Applecross over the mountains on the Isle of Skye, i traveled out that way last year for a week in a soft top ,didnt take the Cobra ,worried about weather . It turned out hot ,blue skies ,not one drop of rain !!
    You can utube the road ,i believe might be the highest road in the UK ?

Goodluck

Sean
    AK - Gen 1 - Chevy 350 - 5.7

Lots of great roads in the west. The pass of the cattle as Sean says is spectacular, instead of coming back over it, the road around the top end from applecross is a great one, as is the road through Torridon mountains. The old road over the hill to the old skye ferry, is good. Plockton is one nice place to base yourself but there are many.

Ardnamurchan peninsula is usually quieter as well as being a little further south, and ferry hopping out to the inner Hebrides. Nice place out there we've stayed, Kilcamb Lodge.

Hard to go wrong in the west highlands
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

This has had a fair bit of promotion

https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do...rth-coast-500/

cheers
    Kiel and Duncan (dad and the lad errr young man now)

AHP Crendon Chassis No 1
    Ford FE 434, dual quad, Toploader total old school all the way
    https://www.crendonreplicas.com/
    http://www.absolutehorsepower.co.uk/

Some of the roads on Skye are stunning. They've had £millions of Euro funding for the roads and they're pristine and depending on when you go, can be deserted.

Paul

All above is great info coast 500 is very popular. Head out of Glasgow on the A82 west, there is a great Inn called he Drovers (lovely lunch stop) near Inverarnan,then up through Glen Coe fort William and on to Skye. From Skye on to Apple Cross (a must do in the Cobra) after Apple Cross Plockton is very nice and yes there is palm trees in the village. As said there is lots of places to visit and great roads for the Cobra. Achnasheen to Strathcarron made for Cobras ,I once got up to 59MPH on that road. Just some sugestions hope it helps, if you get to Aberdeenshire please give me a call. My pall is a member of another car club and he organises road trips. I thought about doing one around Scotland, how would anyone feel about that maybe two or three days then cut you loose to explore.

Cheers
    Shuggie

Remember Billy Conelys quote about Scotland. ( there is no such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothing)

Hi,

The attached is an extract from Jackie Stewart's autobiography "Winning Is Not Enough". In it he describes his "perfect" car evaluation route that he uses to test the handling characteristics of vehicles that he is helping to develop.

Never driven it myself but it is on my list of things to do!

Hope this is of use.

Regards,
    Ian
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

Where to start? How long are you planning on being here and when? Scotland is a big place and there are so many terrific roads. We tend to keep them quiet so the English don't get to know them and clog them up with caravans. The Duke's Pass was once a terrific driving road from Callander to Aberfeldy until it was voted one of the best motorcycling roads in the UK. Since then it's absolute chaos in the summer with bikers racing and coaches dawdling along what is essentially a minor road.

Some roads aren't that exciting.....

Last edited by Clive; 19-01-17 at 04:56 PM.
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

One other thing to mention, sorry to put a slight downer on proceedings. The Scots have got a little giddy with the speed cameras I reckon. Spotted at least one mobile unit wandering around the general Skye area every day last time I was up (last year).

Thought I'd got away with it but one of the buggers got me on the road south from Mallaig on the way home. Makes me appreciate Wales even more though where they are few and far between
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback really appreciated.
    Hi Clive, we are planning on 2 weeks ish, I fall into the English category, but my Catherine is a kiwi, so she said you can tell her....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast