Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have been playing around with mine a bit more.
    Up to version 4 now and I think it might work. I will post some pictures if it works. It will have to wait until the weekend before I can play some more.
    Looking at your pictures again James, I can't see your set up working. For it to work safely you need the brake pedal to be roughly centre of the footwell ( stating the obvious ) with the body on, so you can operate the pedals safely without interference. The way I see your master cylinders it would appear your brake pedal will be offset to the right of the centre by a large margin.
    I also followed your setup initially and soon realised there was not enough space. It looks balanced from the engine bay side but impractical on the inside. I have now shifted everything towards the centre of the car by about 40mm. If you can imagine the clutch master cylinder is now as far left as possible in the footwell opening. In this position the clutch pedal hangs down with about 15mm clearance to the steering shaft, and the brake pedal is almost centred in the footwell. Still have some minor grinding to do on the firewall before I can trial fit the pedal box. If it all fits as I hope, I can then finish the welding, paint and mount. Fingers crossed
    Did you by any chance look at what size master cylinders you went with?

Hi James

could you list the tilton part numbers you have used? Could they be mounted flush to the foot plate?

Looks like your set up could cure my problems, I.e. heavy clutch/ brake, pedals too high off the floor and too far away from the seat.

Cheers
    Roger

RamSC 351 Cleveland

on the road 20 years- nearly finished

Checked the cylinders on Friday, they are 7/10 and 3/4.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Checked the cylinders on Friday, they are 7/10 and 3/4.
    Thanks.
    I went with 3/4 and 7/8.

Finally found the time and today I have finished the pedal box instillation.
    I have managed to space the pedals to allow them to be functional, after much trial and error.
    I am not really happy with the accelerator at the moment so I might go back to the original setup, but replace the pedal face.
    So what I learned, is that unless you squeeze the clutch master cylinder as far left as possible, almost on top of the steering column, the brake pedal will be too close to the accelerator. Now in order to do this, you have to box the pedals like James has, so that the pushrod of the master is almost touching the cutout of the firewall and the bellows and master are actually in front of the firewall. You gain about 1.5 inches to the left this way.
    The only problem with this setup is that in order to have at least 1 inch travel on the pushrod the pedals sit further forward.
    Here is a before and after shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glad you got it somewhere near sorted out. Told you it works! Looks very similar to my setup. Just noticed that you used a Wildwood pedal box though which explains some of the differences as I used a Tilton pedal box.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Glad you got it somewhere near sorted out. Told you it works! Looks very similar to my setup. Just noticed that you used a Wildwood pedal box though which explains some of the differences as I used a Tilton pedal box.
    It works James, but I can guarantee you, unless you have feet the size of a 3 year old, unless you shift all your master cylinders over, you will hit the brake every time you reach for the accelerator.

I went with wilwood as it was much easier to source locally. I think you will find if you compare the two, there is no difference in their dimensions, the only difference being the way the foot pads mount. There is from memory 0.2mm difference in the distance between the master cylinders (wilwood is 66.7mm and tilton 66.5mm )Hardly enough clearance to make a difference. Both have 12inch length, at their maximum pedal pad mounting.

Mate, not trying to steal your thunder, but believe me, after 4 different attempts, I can tell you that the way your master cylinders are positioned from your second photo, it will not work. I am just trying to save you some trouble now that you have the body off, because it's a pain in the back side to do with it on. I had to remove the side vent, front wheel and wheel arch skin to be able to access the pedalbox from the engine bay and I am still sore all over from having to be a contortionist to work from the inside of the car.

i should have taken more photos along the way, but my clutch master cylinder cutout is within about 5mm from the edge of the boxed section. Yours are all neatly centred, which is what I did initially, and I could not put my foot on the accelerator without hitting the brake. Unless your car body is shaped different to mine, it will not work. You may gain some room with modern carpet and dynamat, as I have the thick felt underlay in mine, but that would be about it.

Hopefully by end of week I should have all the plumbing sorted and I will let you know how the pedals feel. Just waiting on some brake line fittings and we should be done.

Cheers Chris.

ps. Where are you mounting your oil reservoirs? I went with mine on the master cylinder, as before, but it is very tight.

I am mounting them remotely, on the firewall in the engine bay.

i still have the old marina stuff but replaced the brake cylinder with a dual circuit version and also the clutch with a remote reservoir because they are hard to get to to fill.

All works well

very important is to prevent the brake and clutch lines to get hot. And bleed the circuits of course.
    heat will cause spongy pedals or loss of function

Quote Originally Posted by Klaas View Post
    i still have the old marina stuff but replaced the brake cylinder with a dual circuit version and also the clutch with a remote reservoir because they are hard to get to to fill.

All works well

very important is to prevent the brake and clutch lines to get hot. And bleed the circuits of course.
    heat will cause spongy pedals or loss of function
    Hi Klaas. Just wondering where did you mount your remote reservoir. Any photos by any chance?

Regards Chris.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast