Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    15
    Pedals finally done. Really happy with the spacing now. Still waiting on some hydraulic fittings for the clutch and then I can button it all up. I can even slip my left foot next to and behind the clutch pedal for a rest on those long lazy drives.

    I have mounted my fluid reservoirs directly on the master cylinders as I could not find a suitable place to mount them remotely. I figure once all bled and done, I will rarely need to open them up. It can be done, just awkward and I will need to use a pump or syringe with a tube to top up on those occasions.
    A big thanks to James, as it was his setup that motivated me to dive in and change mine out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Newark, Notts
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,174
    Syringe and plastic pipe is the way to go but I find it very difficult seeing where the actual level of brake fluid is!
    Charlie

    Quote Originally Posted by Pills View Post
    Pedals finally done. Really happy with the spacing now. Still waiting on some hydraulic fittings for the clutch and then I can button it all up. I can even slip my left foot next to and behind the clutch pedal for a rest on those long lazy drives.

    I have mounted my fluid reservoirs directly on the master cylinders as I could not find a suitable place to mount them remotely. I figure once all bled and done, I will rarely need to open them up. It can be done, just awkward and I will need to use a pump or syringe with a tube to top up on those occasions.
    A big thanks to James, as it was his setup that motivated me to dive in and change mine out.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true
    .

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by AKCharlie View Post
    Syringe and plastic pipe is the way to go but I find it very difficult seeing where the actual level of brake fluid is!
    Charlie
    I know what you mean. It was the same situation with the marina pedal box. In fact it's easier access now but the only difference is the furthest reservoir is harder to see and reach. Life is just full of compromises. I will take softer pedals and better braking feel over harder access once yearly.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    102
    Have you driven it with the new pedals, how does it compare with the marina set up?
    Roger

    RamSC 351 Cleveland

    on the road 8 years- nearly finished

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerKnill View Post
    Have you driven it with the new pedals, how does it compare with the marina set up?
    Hi Roger. Not yet.
    I decided to replace the clutch slave while I am at it. When I removed the marina pedal box I did not like the look of the oil in the clutch reservoir. On inspection the slave was pitted and tired.
    Hopefully by next weekend I can give it a test drive.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    15
    Still no test drive.
    Finished all the plumbing for the clutch, gave it fluid and bled it.
    BUGGER. Can't shift. Turns out I am not getting enough travel at the slave now.
    Original set up had a 1 inch master, and the clutch was like doing foot press with 1000 kg, so I downsized to 3/4. The pedal feels so nice now, but it's not moving the clutch fork far enough. Should have done my homework better.
    I have ordered a 7/8 master now, and hopefully this will work, without the pedal getting too heavy again.
    Another week without a drive, and we have had such nice weather.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    15
    After a few more setbacks it's all finished.

    The 7/8 clutch master cylinder has worked out great. The clutch feels effortless to use not like before where it was like doing leg presses with 200kg. Real happy with this.

    Roger asked how the brakes feel as compared to the marina setup. I have to preface this by saying my marina pedal box was not in tiptop condition and my booster hadn't worked for a while, so the breaks were lacking any feel and required much force. The wildwood setup by comparison is a huge improvement. The breaks actually feel more like a modern car setup.

    I find them to be much more confidence inspiring. They feel firm without being heavy. The breaking force is more progressive rather than before where it was push hard to slow down and harder to lock the wheels.

    My daily drive is a 428i. I did not find that I needed time to adjust to the brakes from this car to the RAM. They feel real nice.

    Overall I am happy with the end result. My only complaint would be that the pedals sit further forward. I estimate I have lost about 1" or more in leg room.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    102
    That's great to hear. That's another thing to add to the improvement list then. Thanks for updating with the results.
    Roger

    RamSC 351 Cleveland

    on the road 8 years- nearly finished

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •