Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New RAM. Pedal power?

Good evening all.
    I have just purchased my second Ram. The first one I built in the early 90s.
    The ‘new’ car is all up and running and is fitted with a V12 Jag engine and 3-speed auto box.
    I intend removing the V12/auto and replacing it with a Ford 302 and T5 gearbox that I have. This leaves me with problem of finding some new pedals.
    I remember that when I purchased my first car Adrian supplied the clutch and brake pedals modified on an exchange basis.
    I have obtained a Marina/Ital pedal box complete, but am unsure as to how the pedals are modified. I still have my old build manual which shows a picture of the modified pedals, but it is not very clear.
    Now, the main reason for this post:
    Are there any Ram owners out there that could possibly take a picture of their pedals and perhaps give me some measurements? The original Marina pedals look enormous!
    OR
    Are there any Ram owners in my neck of the woods (Exeter) that I could have a look at their pedals??
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
    Paul

I have converted mine to use a tilton pedal box. happy to send some pictures/discuss. PM me

Sorry forgot to add that I still have the old Marina box as modified so you can have a look at that but one of the problems with the Marina box is that it only gives you about a 3:1 mechanical advantage and I believe its actually less than that. On my car, the clutch was a complete b******d as a result. By changing to the Tilton pedal box I have actually achieved a near 6:1 mechanical advantage and also gained an inch or so of leg room.

I suspect you may find that marina pedal boxes are now so rare they will be worth more than a set of new tilton pedals... I only got a set for my pilgrim because Cheng had a set lying around, and still paid a fortune to get the cylinder rebuilt.

On the off chance that you dont know already - Cheng Lim (original development engineer on the RAM) works at thunder road, he could tell you or tailor the pedals to RAM spec I'm sure.

Alex

Cheng told me it would be best to change the pedal box and after the modification Cheng approves.

Pedal box, sorry bit out of focus but you get the picture, obviously no throttle pedal in place at this time.
    Last edited by JamesB; 08-02-17 at 01:04 PM.

From engine bay side, you can see that I have mounted the whole thing in a box which has the advantage of giving me another inch or so leg room which was always tight for a 6 footer in the RAM

Thanks for your replies.
    James. Your Tilton setup looks really good and i appreciate what you say regarding the mechanical advantage and the increased legroom.
    However, as I already have the Marina box I think I will continue down that route. I don't recall the clutch on my old Ram being too bad. It was 20 odd years ago though!!
    You say you still have the original pedals. Is there any chance you could send me a photo of them with some measurements? Unless of course you are reasonably local to me!
    Are you using a different steering column? Can't remember mine looking like that.

Not very local I'm afraid, Essex not Devon. However I'm sure I can sort out something regarding the old pedal box, unless you just want to buy it off me? The column is different as I have fitted a Corsa C power column. so there is some new bracketry etc.

PM sent James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast